How do you gas your kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent0

Reaction score
I have been gassing my kegs for 24hrs at 40psi, then back off to around 10 psi pouring pressure.
My last beer started pouring flat.
Good head when first poured then a flat lifeless beer.
Is 24 hrs long enough?
Or could something else be wrong

3 days at 30?
So 40 at 24 hrs not enough then
Ok thanks

I do 3 days at 180kpa, not sure of the conversion to psi. Then set to 80kpa and party.

You guys have heaps more patience than I do, I want to get into mine as soon as it's kegged. Set gauge at @ 300kpa, connect to liquid post, rock back to front about 30 degrees, I count each rock and stop at 75. Turn gas off and shake the shit outta the keg, I also pick it up and give it a couple of thumps on the ground, pressure should stop @ 100-120 kpa, if under turn gas back on and give it another 10 shakes and then turn off and shake again. Connect to gas post at serving pressure and wait a bit if you can then pour a beer. First beer may come out a bit fast, you can burb the keg first if you like but after being sprayed a few times I just go straight to a pour.
I filter most beers after they have sat at @ 0 for @ 4 days minimum, nice clear and bright beer ready to drink.

I generally find 3 days @ 30 psi from warm or 2 days if already cold.

Im sure you can do it quicker in a pinch but I've found this to be consistent for my setup.

However long it takes @70-75kpa.
Usually carbed by day 7 to where it's reached saturation point.
Have a taste glass, admire my efforts & forget about it for another week.

Search the "Ross Method"

Gassed and drinking within half an hour... :chug: :chug: :chug:

4-6 days at pouring pressure, though i usually start "sampling" as soon as it's in the keg. there's enough phaffing around for me just getting it out of fermenter and into keg, i can't be arsed changing my reg pressures as well. I leave everything at pouring pressure and wait.

I have been using Ross method pretty successfully..

I now plan to use sugar for carbonation and run two kegs under the house conditioning and two more on tap.

The main reason is so I have more beer on hand and hopefully I won't drink as fast.

TheWiggman said:
Ha ha, nice one.
I believe a kegged beer is better at week 2 than week 1 & at it's best from week 3.
The first week is still too green IMO so I usually start drinking from week 2.

I plan to give sugar priming in the keg a go next how do ya get the lid of the keg to seal once racked into keg onto the suger, i was thinking of hooking up the gas and giving it a squirt to make the lid seal, keen to hear what others do

Cheers

Mine seems to come out best for most styles if left in the kegerator at around 5c, at serving pressure (11-13psi for me) for around 2-3 weeks.

The extra time helps it drop bright, mature a bit and always nicely carbed for most styles.

But everyone's set up is different.

50/55gms dextrose boiled in 250mls of water then into the keg.leave it for a couple of weeks to condition and its pretty close

michaeld16 said:
I plan to give sugar priming in the keg a go next how do ya get the lid of the keg to seal once racked into keg onto the suger, i was thinking of hooking up the gas and giving it a squirt to make the lid seal, keen to hear what others do

Cheers
I have sugar primed in the keg and it is generally a great way to go if you just prime it an leave it to gas up the same as you do a bottled batch.

To seal the keg after filling just give it a short burst of C02 to pressurize the keg then leave it in a warm environment, around 20 deg c for a couple of weeks.
This works great with Belgians when the required C02 vol is at the high end.

Latest posts

Back