How Do You Fill Your Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
I'm new to kegs and all, and all I've read about filling kegs is using a hose from the tap into the keg itself. However, after reading another thread (regarding filters) I noticed someone had connected the fermenter tap directly to the beer out post.

Connecting to the beer out post obviously allows the keg lid to be on and sealed, and the pressure release valve open for the displaced air/CO2.

I've always found raking hoses a little dodgy since I find that I'm always forced to hold the outside of them somewhere that is later submerged in beer. Having a hose straight to be beer post would eliminate this possible cause of infection.

So, I'm wondering if this is a common practice by some/most/all? Additionally, is the standard 5mm gas/beer line the right diameter to fit snuggly to the fermenter tap out, and also large enough to allow beer to flow at a reasonable rate under gravity?

Cheers

silicone hose is good as it's quite floppy and curls nicely at the bottom of the keg. Once the initial swirl has happened, the keg will then fill quietly and sedately. The most important thing is to sit in a position where you can keep an eye on the gas in short 'post' to make sure that the beer doesn't get up that far. Torch is handy.

Edit, and no no no don't have a hose that fits inside the fermenter tap, :wacko: get one that fits outside it for perfect flow. No brainer.

I chill beer in fermenter once finnished fermenting.... to 4 deg c for a few days min.

I then dump it in a keg via silicon hose

I then pump it from this keg vial a 1 micron filter at 25kpa to another keg

The second keg full of bright beer is then dropped in the kegorator and gas is aplied to the beer out fitting for 48 hrs at 250kpa exactly! .... warning: use a non return fitting to prevent beer making it back the the regulator.

hook an normal and enjoy!

Chill fermenter
chill clean sanitized keg
quick squirt of co2 into beer out so co2 goes to bottom of keg
**** don't let go of the gas in fitting, just hold it on the beer out***
** if you let go it will grip like buggery and you'll be taking tools to it to get it off !! **
now you have cold wort, cold keg with layer of co2 at the bottom
clean and sanitize the beer out tap and hose
fit sanitized hose to sanitized fermenter tap
turn tap slowly and fill to weld line
chill and apply co2
burp and leave to carbonate

Chill for 36-48 hrs (sometimes :ph34r: ), straight from tap to keg with the hose curled up in the bottom of the keg so it doesn't splash, Then put lid on and purge keg with co2. Done

craftbrewer is currently offline, but basically ignore everything everyone has said above and do the following.

1 - Wait for craft brewer to come back online
2 - Purchase the silicone to 8mm beer line John Guest adapter thingy.
3 - Push silicone tube over fermenter tap.
4 - Connect standard beer line to john guest fitting of the adapter, and the other end to john guest fitting of your beer disconnect.
5 - Open pressure relief valve on keg.
6 - Open fermenter tap.
7 - Never go back to your old inferior method. I know I won't ever rack the old way ever again.

The adapter I'm talking about is the best value for money thing I've bought as far as home brew gear goes. Get on it.

craftbrewer is currently offline, but basically ignore everything everyone has said above and do the following.

4 - Connect standard beer line to john guest fitting of the adapter, and the other end to john guest fitting of your beer disconnect.
6 - Open fermenter tap.
7 - Never go back to your old inferior method. I know I won't ever rack the old way ever again.

The adapter I'm talking about is the best value for money thing I've bought as far as home brew gear goes. Get on it.

hi mark
so you fill through the beer out post ?
Any chance of pics or clarification
thanks heaps

Personally I used to fill just via a hose through the lid hole to the bottom, but now I've got the fittings on hand for other purposes I fill through the beer out post. Mostly because I'm filling more than one keg at once, and having that poppet valve there makes switching to the second keg less messy. It is a slower exercise than going through 12mm OD hose though.

I dont see anything wrong with either procedure, and I wouldnt pay the money for the fittings just to do it through the beer out post, I only do it because the fittings are there anyway. (They're all fittings I use as part of the filter setup, just put together differently)

Yep through the beer out post. I'll take some photos when I can mate.

+1 for Mark^*******... Do as he does. Everyone else is just telling you what they do without really answering your op.
Not saying their methods are inferior, just saying i think MB has answered your specific question succinctly. :icon_cheers:

Not saying their methods are inferior

For what it's worth I've done both. I've done the traditional method more times and I really wish someone had strongly suggested I do the new method right from the get go, which is why I'm being strong in my opinion right now.

The old method is inferior. Still adequate, but inferior to the new method.

I do the same as Mark, except I have a filter in-line as well. Can't have cloudy beer now can we....?

:p

Cheers

yeah I need pics ..I am doing it the inferior way I think.

correct me if wrong but you put beer into the keg via the out ( outlet) on the keg?
With the little purge relief valve open??? mine is spring loaded ...can I get it to stay open somehow?

Is the actual lid on the keg?
if so...
How do I know when it is full?

6 - Open fermenter tap.

So what are the benefits of this method over other ways?
One might be that you are filling to an already sealed environment I suppose but others?

How do you know when the keg is full when you can't see the line?

I'm not disagreeing, just curious as to what makes this method so superior...

Edit: like he said above, damn kids distracting me from beer questions :)

my 2c

Too much worry stress and fuss above. Any hose from FV tap to bottom of keg. Soak the hose in Sanitiser before use, be sure you have sanitised your hands also. Watch the filling level IT DOES MATTER, experienced keggers can attest to this. It's my experience that carbing a keg without sufficient headspace can take much longer using any carbing method. Ever noticed how flat the beer seems until a few glasses have been pulled, then it carbs up quite quickly, you're over filling.

Be interested to know how those who fill through the Beer QD post are able to monitor the liquid level. Cold beer shows condensation on the outside of the keg but is not very accurate as there is some lag time before condensation forms. Used to fill this way but gave it away for the simpler approach..... fill watch stop at the weldline about 10mm below the gas in post. No point in filling above this as most will be wasted in experimentation/testing to see if the beer is good to go.

Cheers,

Screwy

So what are the benefits of this method over other ways?
One might be that you are filling to an already sealed environment I suppose but others?

How do you know when the keg is full when you can't see the line?

I'm not disagreeing, just curious as to what makes this method so superior...

Edit: like he said above, damn kids distracting me from beer question
The dew line follows the beer up the keg provided you have chilled the beer. Well that's what happens here in humid Qld.

HD

I do the same as Mark, except I have a filter in-line as well. Can't have cloudy beer now can we....?

:p

Cheers

Exactly what i do when gravity filtering. Otherwise into receiving keg through beer out post on top of polyclar for a day or 2 then filter inline pushed by gas through each beer out post. All cleaned, purged, sanitised and sealed prior to transfer

Back