How Do I Brew Tooheys New?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate. I am just using the yeast supplied with the Tooheys brew mixes which says fermentation can stop under 18 deg. I have just turned my heater down to about 20 deg. So even if it stops bubbling through the airlock,,, it's still fermenting?? Thanx in advance,,, you are really helping me here!!!

I would use a liquid lager yeast. Probably 2042 and ferment it higher than normal - so yeah around 18. I reckon the flavour that I really can't stand about tooheys new is yeast off flavours...

Thanx for everyones advice, even you bum. What is the lowest temp and the longest fermenting period I need? below 18 degrees it seems to just stop. I have it at a steady 24 degrees with the genius use of an old electric blanket. I have 2 batches going at all times. I am trying about 5 different brands and types. CAN'T wait to try each brand!!!! So some help is still needed. It's ok bum, I have had some beer and chilled out. I understand that you might be a beer fancier with a better taste palete than mine, but that's ok.

I think you have settled down enough to work out that you are the beginning stages of a great journey. Home brewing to a lot of us here is about a number of things and not just the beer. This subject comes up quite regularly with new blokes to the thread and in time you'll see the same thing said over and over. As a regular all grain brewers who just bought 2 x 30can packs of Tooheys New for $74 (got a big footie final series coming and can't drink imperials and belgian fighting juice while watching the Saints win .. and I like throwing down TN when watching the game) I'll say this - commercial beer is brewed to taste the way it is using methods and some ingredients not available to home brewers. Don't think you can make a beer that tastes just like a commercial mega brew by using a tin bought from Wolloies and fiddling around a bit. Can't and will never happen. You can find ways of improving your kit beers. 90% of the people on this thread started making kit beers - don't let anyone kid you otherwise. Bum and others actually gave you sound advice, you just weren't able to understand what they said. Read up on methods to improve kit beers (plenty here and on other sites) and in time, see where you go with it all. You will make some great tasting beers (and probably some shockers too) with what you are doing but experimentation is the only way to learn.

Good luck and let no man insult my Tooheys New (and Old) again. Philistines!

Grab an empty bottle & unzip your fly. Once the bottle is full, put a crown cap on & seal the bottle

Loftboy, I still hold fond memories of that Morgans Blue Mountains Lager you put in that case swap a few years ago as an excellent example of a great tasting kit beer.

Just because the can says that fermentation will stop if it drops below 18c doesn't mean you should believe it. The yeast is an ale yeast, in order to get a clean taste from it you need to ferment at the cooler end of the scale. It will take longer but it will get there. Airlocks mean nothing as there are plenty of ways for the gas to escape than trying to push som liquid out the way. Taking gravity readings is the best way to tell if the brew is fermenting or not.

Fasty73,
sounds like you had the pleasure of meeting our trolls on your first go!!

Sorry about your experience on AHB so far.

After playing around with homebrewing for a while now and spending more time on this forum than I should, I have learned that whatever you ask on here there is a chance of someone giving you that kind of clever feedback.

I ask about how to filter beer, and I get five replies about why anyone would want to filter beer (plus lots of really good ones).
I ask about how to make low-alcohol beer, I get 15 replies saying I should drink fewer full-strengths rather than worry about brewing low-alc beer..

You may want to just ignore the replies that are off topic or not replying to what you are asking.
(then it's much less fun being a troll, when no one gets annoyed)

All of us (if honest) probably started with an idea of making the kind of beer we used to enjoy drinking at the pub..
Sometimes we forget that it's only when starting to really taste the beers for this and that ingredients, hops, etc we started "branching out" and wanting to add some grains, some more hops, move to extract, then all grain.

And before you know it, we think Toohey's New/Carlton/VB is crap and don't seem to remember we used to like it ;)

There are lots of great advice on here, do what works for you and if you are sucked in like so many others of us, then read some of the articles Manticle linked to, or read through the free version of "How to Brew" online, like most of us started with. (it's a good book!)
http://www.howtobrew.com/

(the link doesn't work right now as the domain is not renewed. let's hope it is sorted within a couple of days, try it again then).

A little bit of reading will give you some background info on why the instructions says to do things in a certain way.

This turned out to be a long post, sorry about that!
Just thought to myself "here we go again" when I saw your post, knowing what kind of answers you would get.
And wanted to let you know that this forum is a great resource, you just need to take some of the bad with the good.

thanks
Bjorn

You may want to just ignore the replies that are off topic or not replying to what you are asking.
Like the post this was taken from?

Best advice i can give you is, don't try to brew what you know and love. You wont reach your goal for some time and you will be disapointed. Just make whats in the cans for now and expand your horizons.
Have fun too.

@fasty
I suggest dropping your heater down to 18 if not a bit lower. the ferment will generate heat so the inside of the vessel will get warmer than 20 if you start at 20. cooler the better :)

Loftboy, I still hold fond memories of that Morgans Blue Mountains Lager you put in that case swap a few years ago as an excellent example of a great tasting kit beer.

Ian,

Jeez you've got a good memory. That Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager is a cracker kit beer. IIRC it was just the can + Morgans lager liquid malt. It was always my favourite kit.

BTW I wasn't having a go at kit beer, just the taste of bottled New. A properly handled kit beer will always beat a poorly made partial or AG.

Dave.

I'd like to correct the above to 'a properly handled beer will always beat a poorly handled beer, method notwithstanding'

And if some ******* puts a burning cross on your front lawn at midnite cos you`re making a Tooheys clone,...........just carry on regardless :eek:

stagga.

Put yr location in the thingy under yr name as well. Some of the bad influences on here will get you around for a brewday & in no time you'll have 6 fermenters, 2 ferment fridges, a keg fridge, several kegs, a 3V AG setup............

Or another option is to keep quiet about where you are.

Hey Fasty73,

just ignore all the idiots that think they are "brew gods". I got similar replies when I asked for a VB recipe for my Dad. Never made a new before but the cooler kids on here have pointed you in the right direction. Ive tried to make a few commercial ones. But I found experimenting with different ingredients to be the most rewarding. anyway goodluck and let us know how you go mate.

just ignore all the idiots

Good advice, however - everyone accepts there are idiots in this thread and no one admits to being one. Who to believe?

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! I do enjoy the Tooheys New and that is all I am after!!!!! I spend $130 a week on NEW and thats the beer I like to drink!!!! I am NOT a beer drinker with a wine tasters experiance!!! I DON'T want to drink a beer going " oh gee James, this has a nice palete with a hint of bullshit and the after taste of MORE bullshit"!!!!! I just want a nice cold beer after a hard day of turning tools for a living and it only costing me $15 for 2 and a half cartons!!!!! So far I have bottled Tooheys Lager and Brigalobws brand of NEW. I now have in the fermentor a batch of Tooheys Draught and another batch of Lager. I have 1 more week to try the Tooheys Lager and about a month before I try the "Brigalow New".
That's how most of us started out thinking, Fasty. Somewhere along the line we wandered into a homebrew shop, picked up a hop bag, etc, etc.

This got way out of hand!!! I am still at the stage of buying my brew from BigW. I just get the can contents and add a kilo of brewing sugar, mix it in the fermentor and mix it up and add 18 litres of water and wait until it's 27 degrees and add a packet of yeast that comes with the can!!!! I don't have cedar fermentor vats or smoked wood to add, far out man!!! I am a simple man who likes a Tooheys New!!!! Maybe in ten years I might understand what half of you are on about with 10 grams of POR and a dash of this or that!!! At the moment I am just trying to save some $$$$$ NOT make a new type of beer. IF I do that, then maybe I will get a $1,000,000 loan and go into brewing for the masses!!!! Most of you on here seem to think that you brew beer better than the big breweries!!! I DON'T want that. I just want me beer cheap, tasting like a beer I know and love and costing me a third of the price, while getting the enjoyment that I made it myself.
As everyone else said, drop your temps mate. Sadly I don't have a cedar vat as well. My garage is too small too :(

If you're happy sticking with Woolies bought stuff, Have a go at some of the coopers brew enhancers, or even the Saunders Malt Extract (in the honey aisle). Try that instead of the sugar and once it's brewed, try them back to back with one brewed with sugar.
From what I've heard don't bother wasting money on those brewiser "finishing hops". If you want real hops, you'll have to visit a homebrew shop.

And yeah, you've met one of our trolls. Don't worry about em, they're like those annoying Maltese Terriers most of our neighbors have that won't shut up. Feel free to bark back - it keeps us amused. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers
Pete

just ignore all the idiots that think they are "brew gods".
Who you calling idiot?! lol
Kiddinz

Also, bum has taken it up himself as a community service to add the title of "not entitled to an opinion" so theres no big deal :beer:

Best advice i can give you is, don't try to brew what you know and love. You wont reach your goal for some time and you will be disapointed. Just make whats in the cans for now and expand your horizons.
Have fun too.

+1. That's good advice. Especially if your brewing to save some bucks (which rules out liquid yeast).

My understanding was that kit yeast was a blend of ale and lager yeast. Most kit instructions say not to bottle until FG of 1.005ish has been reached which would never happen with an ale yeast. In any case, get a better dry yeast from your Home Brew Store.

I just made an extract beer for my Tooheys and Carlton drinking mates with Safale US05 and dry enzyme. I would normally use a lager yeast but couldn't be bothered with temperature control so I let the US05 ferment at 20C and added the enzyme to get better attenuation. The beer turned out good and I didn't have to take up extra room in my brew fridge.

Try using normal white sugar too if you like New. I used a kg of it for a Belgian Tripel a while back. It had a New taste (with a lot of esters) to it when it was young.

Don't worry about Bum either. He's probably in a bad mood cause his mum found his spy camera in her shower.

Back