How Crap Is Crown!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it would be great if the masses liked better beer, maybe the prices would come down. But they love mega swill so **** it, let them be. I decided long ago not to slander another mans beer choice, best not to be a pretentious prick I think. Seems to spike their interest when you don't turn your nose up at their beer but happily hang out while tucking into a nice IPA or some such crafty delight.

But yeH crownies are shit. Oh and the bloke who had a stab at WA due to EB. We do alright for micros over here and uni brewing courses so EB is just there to remind us to never go back to the way things once were. Also helps keep the domestic violence levels sustainable and ensures dogs are getting their beatings.

Are you talking about that flavour BribieG calls "Mouse Plague"? I find that to be far and away the most objectionable thing about Aussie beers.
Bless his Sardinian soul.

We used mice for an experiment in year 10 science (13 odd years ago now) and every time a Draught gets waved in my general proximity, I'm right back there in that stinking science lab; wet newspaper and mousepiss. As much as I don't like to turn down a free beer, I will if it's Carlton. Or Tooheys. Although I don't notice it to the same extent in VB or MB (in a blind 3 way tasting.)

Oh and the bloke who had a stab at WA due to EB.

Easy Tiger. Actually I wasn't having a stab at all. I remember back on my honeymoon, going through about 3 jugs while sitting in the sun outside the pub on Rotto waiting for the ferry back to Freo and thinking "wouldn't call it nectar of the gods, but it goes down alright in this heat". A dry and scorching heat that is common to WA. Hence the beer being the way it is. Low flavour, low bitterness, watery, but generally inofensive and scullable.

My point being there is a time and a place for everything, but I Still haven't figured out a time or place I'd enjoy a Crown Lager.

Are you talking about that flavour BribieG calls "Mouse Plague"? I find that to be far and away the most objectionable thing about Aussie beers.

Not sure. I put it down to lager yeast being used at higher temps and cellaring time being reduced to a minimum but I could be wrong.

Drink a pilsner urquell, budvar, kruscovice, DAB or Kozel at 7-10 degrees and a CUB offering (MB, VB, CD, crown) at the same temp. There's a wrong flavour that makes you want to either freeze the beverage or drink something else. It's not Pride of ringwood - while that is distinctive, to me it's distinctive in a good way in the right beer. It's not flawless, well brewed beer as much as anyone would have you think differently. Thta's why they recommend drinking icy cold - everyone thinks warm beer tastes bad whereas it actually shouldn't (even if you prefer it cooler).

I don't find all aussie mainstream lagers have this character either - I don't mind a few of the James Boag's offerings (some corn/dms character is the biggest flaw I can find and it's not stupidly high - even budvar has an element of this too).

My names Mattress and I'm a reformed Crown Lager drinker :unsure:

so sory but emu bitter was the most bitter beer on the market at one stage adn then the recipe changes.

if you wanted the wife beater and the rest you drank export! never ever confuse the green can with teh red and white can!

Only thing export is good for is cooking bread with or bribing collie people for marron!

so sory but emu bitter was the most bitter beer on the market at one stage adn then the recipe changes.

if you wanted the wife beater and the rest you drank export! never ever confuse the green can with teh red and white can!

Only thing export is good for is cooking bread with or bribing collie people for marron!

I'm guessing I tasted it after the recipe change. At that time, 2003, I'd have said it was about the same IBU as Spewies New. I also didn't brew or know what real beer was supposed to taste like. Being a tourist I approached the situation with a when in Rome phillosophy and thougt EB was the better of Emu Export, Swan Lager and some other Swan that I can't remember.

I too would bribe some one from Collie for Marron if the opportunity arose, don't you worry about that. :wub:

Last time I had a Crown Lager I couldn't get through it. I actually had a VB a few weeks back and managed to get 2/3 through it before I really despised it. The Crownie though is probably the worst tasting beer I've had in a long time. Just my own personal opinion.....

Quite enjoying the occasional Vic Pale Lager tho :)

Between that an Carlton Draughts and Cooper's Pale

HTe vic pale lager is OK tasting (or lack of it).. does give me the bloated feeling though. Never bought any again. Also, turns out my workmates do actually like good beer! I was never sure as they can down xxxx gold stubbies like water, so it was a very nice surprise :)

1.JPG

what do you mean you dont like crownies?

2.JPG

Crown "Lager" is a perfectably respectable brew, albeit over packaged and over priced.
It has,for its style, no faults whatsoever.
Sure its not Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but, guess what, its not meant to be.
If you really think Crown Lager is crap then perhaps you should explian why, expressions like bland or tasteless show at best lack of knowledge of beer tasting, you really need to point out the things that make it crap, for example if its close to water whats wrong with water.

K

Think of it this way... What it's meant to be, in it's ingredients, are those that i do not enjoy. I appreciate it's a well put together beer, but i do not enjoy the flavours present.

In the same way, a shitty design by a crappy Architect built by an excellent builder will yield a shitty building.

Think of it this way... What it's meant to be, in it's ingredients, are those that i do not enjoy. I appreciate it's a well put together beer, but i do not enjoy the flavours present.

In the same way, a shitty design by a crappy Architect built by an excellent builder will yield a shitty building.

Perhaps then we should respect the brewer and not the brew.

Well done Thirsty Boy. I take my hat off to you, Sir.

I don't think it is a well put together beer. I think it's a deliberately rushed, homogenised beer that's marketted well (well enough to make people think the price tag is justified). It doesn't hold up against other beers in the same category (premium pale lager).

The thing that irritates me most about crown is that it's shit beer marketted at yuppies who don't know any better but pretend they do. Other CUB beers are marketted at supposed non pretentious 'beer ' drinkers (because beer is beer right?) but crown is the same shit with a pretentious image and a pretentious price tag. Market any pale lager as a working man's beer, drunk cold after a day's work and somehow it doesn't irk me nearly as much. It it what it is. Crown on the other hand, is what it isn't (or isn't what it pretends to be anyway).

This gave me a chuckle mate! Wouldn't you fare better bribing Collie people with a bag of dried cabbage leaves :ph34r:

Emu Bitter used to be a fairly clean, easy drinking beer. It had some slight bready, grainy flavour and half decent bitterness. I haven't tried it since they recently dropped the ABV to 4%, though I would buy an EB over any Carlton beers anyday.

This gave me a chuckle mate! Wouldn't you fare better bribing Collie people with a bag of dried cabbage leaves :ph34r:

Emu Bitter used to be a fairly clean, easy drinking beer. It had some slight bready, grainy flavour and half decent bitterness. I haven't tried it since they recently dropped the ABV to 4%, though I would buy an EB over any Carlton beers anyday.

na most collie people prefer export to dried cabbage leaves... although there is a panic room at the collie hospital...

yeah they completely changed the recipe john too!!! i remember it coming it shorty cans so you do shotguns easier

Not sure what it is but there is a definite taste to VB, Carlton Draught and Crown that is terrible. Other Australian commercial beers don't seem to have it. Not sure what it is.

Every year work gives me a case of crown!

Every year I swap it at Dans for something good!

Back