How Crap Is Crown!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i enjoyed crownies when they were pop tops. i think it is now just upper class VB...

It`s funny this topic came up......just last night I walked into one of my local pubs, usual Friday night crowd of brickies, laborers and whatever. There was 4 blokes at a table with glasses and a couple of jugs of water, and I says to the barman "what the ****`s going on there,Clarry?"
He just shook his head and said "oh them blokes, they`re homebrewers or somesuch....reckon they`d rather drink water than anything on tap. I wish they`d **** off, they`ll give the pub a bad name!"
"They`d rather drink water?", I echoed, amazed.
They looked like a bunch of bullshit artists to me

I had a relative telling me over christmas that
Quote:

"Crown lager comes from the same fermenter as VB but it is the beer that comes from the top of the fermenter because the beer at the top is better because its further away from the yeast and thats why its called crown"

This came from the same guy that posed the question "why is coopers more expensive than the real beers when its only homebrew?"

I just shut my mouth and didnt comment because that was easier. Although I was tempted to say that I thought it was called crown because it had a better head and would hold a crown better.

Cheers

I have also heard both these stories, almost word for word... :lol:

Not worth your time/energy trying to explain otherwise :rolleyes:

I wont lie if its free I will drink it. Well I have drunk VB mid strength and it was free and goes past my 2 rules no shit beer or midstrength but **** it I dont care. I prob drink cat piss if it was free and got me pissed haha

Crown "Lager" is a perfectably respectable brew, albeit over packaged and over priced.
It has,for its style, no faults whatsoever.
Sure its not Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but, guess what, its not meant to be.
If you really think Crown Lager is crap then perhaps you should explian why, expressions like bland or tasteless show at best lack of knowledge of beer tasting, you really need to point out the things that make it crap, for example if its close to water whats wrong with water.

K

Dr K has a very valid point here.

What is it about Crown Lager that is so offensive when you drink it? Beer tasting is a personal opinion and very subjective. Therefore there is no right or wrong answer.

Personally on a hot 35+ degree day, an ice cold crownie goes down a hell of a lot better then a SN torpedo....

Dr K has a very valid point here.

What is it about Crown Lager that is so offensive when you drink it? Beer tasting is a personal opinion and very subjective. Therefore there is no right or wrong answer.

Personally on a hot 35+ degree day, an ice cold crownie goes down a hell of a lot better then a SN torpedo....

Yeah, it certainly does come down to personal opinion.

And on a stinking hot day you can have the Crownie and I'll have the Torpedo thanks! :chug:

yes paul XXXX is about the same maybe a little bit more enjoyable not by much though. Lucky I make shit beer so it isnt to bad lol

I wont lie if its free I will drink it. Well I have drunk VB mid strength and it was free and goes past my 2 rules no shit beer or midstrength but **** it I dont care. I prob drink cat piss if it was free and got me pissed haha

I'm with you on this one kelby. Any port in a storm is my motto. Was at a wake a few months ago and the family decided to splurge on crownies for the night. I would have looked a right royal c@&t if I'd refused. After about half a dozen the give-a-shit factor went out the window and I couldn't get enough. Bloody cracking evening it was (what I can remember) :icon_vomit: . Woke up the next morning with a top 5 hangover. I'd never buy a box myself though. Free is a different matter.

JD

Isn't Crown just Fosters re-badged to take money off idiots who would never dream of drinking Fosters?
Have a search ;p...

Thirsrtboy gives the lowdown on it here somewhere.

What's wrong with some rum and coke when the choice of beer is as bleak as crownies, VB and xxxx.

Still can't get over the taste of xxxx gold :icon_vomit:. Can drink 1 VB. then ur cooled down even on a 35 degree day, what's the excuse for the second one?!

I had a relative telling me over christmas that
Quote:

"Crown lager comes from the same fermenter as VB but it is the beer that comes from the top of the fermenter because the beer at the top is better because its further away from the yeast and thats why its called crown"

This came from the same guy that posed the question "why is coopers more expensive than the real beers when its only homebrew?"

I just shut my mouth and didnt comment because that was easier. Although I was tempted to say that I thought it was called crown because it had a better head and would hold a crown better.

Cheers

this is the story that john elliot tells. except its from the same fermentor as fosters lager according to his story. he did own cub for a fair while so im inclined to believe it.coopers on the other hand is way less tasty than the worst infected homebrew i ever did.

Crown is delicious. :lol:

....... compared to Sail and Anchor "premium lager". That stuff is revolting.

And yes I'm saying Crown is delicious because I never drink it, but its a good bet. Try a Sail and you'll know what I'm talking about. :eek:

The brewing process is similar for all Foster's beers as it is for beers produced by any brewer. However beers are differentiated by the raw ingredients, formulations, and the process variables, such as fermentation conditions and yeast type. In respect to Fosters and Crown Lager, the two products are differentiated in particular by their ingredients and fermentation conditions.

from this site

http://fostersau.custhelp.com/app/answers/...ger-the-same%3F

Don't know how true, but it is the fosters web site

But in this thread
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=45313

Thristy (who works there) claims it be the same

QldKev

If you really think Crown Lager is crap then perhaps you should explian why, expressions like bland or tasteless show at best lack of knowledge of beer tasting, you really need to point out the things that make it crap, for example if its close to water whats wrong with water.

K

If something is bland and tasteless, how is it showing a lack of knowledge to say it is bland and tasteless?

Sure. But it's a bit like saying plain steamed rice is bland and tasteless. Sure, it is, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and context matters. Most of the time I prefer intense sipping beers, that doesn't mean that come a hot day after gardening or whatever, that's what I want to drink.

Still, my personal preference would be for something other than a crownie.

T

Back