How can I maintain fermentation temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMaltyDog

Reaction score
Hi again,

I live in southwest WA and am about to have a go at my first beer. In the reading I have done, it is telling me to keep my fermentation temps at 18C. My day time temps at the moment are averaging 15 - 18C and nights are down below ten.

Any pointers would go to a happy home!

I've just scored an old fridge off gumtree and an ink bird 308 temperature control, setting it up this weekend. Before that I used a brewing bag, sort of like a big stubbie cooler for your fermenter. Add frozen bottles of water or hot water bottles to raise or lower your temperature. If you remember to change them it works ok, but temp probably varies a bit.

You'll need a fermentation chamber - as munta above says, an old fridge is best. Get one that works (I use a chest freezer) so that during the summer, with a temp controller it can maintain the temp where you want it. During the winter, you can do several things - but I've heard from a few people "in the know" that just stick an electric fan in the chamber/fridge - they generate heat while they're running, but not too much, so you don't get rapid temp changes. If you use an Inkbird 308 or similar, it will switch both the fridge and/or the heater on & off as needed to keep your temp stable.
HTH.

I have an old fridge (turned to the coldest setting) + Inkbird 308 + small PC fan + mangrove jacks heat pad. Does the job nicely.

I ferment in a dual 30L fermentor upright freezer.
A fan alone doesn't do it for me.
I plug a hair dryer set on low to the heat side of the inkbird.
DaDaah. 18C

I started out by keeping the fermenter in the laundry (wife wasn’t overly happy about it). If it got below 18 I’d open the door to let warmth in from the living area and the opposite if it got above 18. It worked for the first few brews until I got a fridge, heat pad and temp controller. Best thing I ever did getting the fridge, keeps the missus happy and makes better beer!

Started mine in the closet. Whilst you can't control the exothermic heat rises, at least ambient is very constant with all the clothes inside acting as insulation.

I've just recently got a fermentation chamber which is also an old chest freezer that i got for free. I have a Mangrove Jack single temperature controller. My first brew was an EPA and I set the temp at the recommended 18 degrees. I noticed that it fluctuated between 16-18 and maybe it got a bit too cold for the ale yeast to work properly. I am sure that this brew did not fully ferment.

For my next brew I upped the temp one degree and this worked. It fluctuated betweenn 18 and 19 with the occasional drop into 17. This one did fully ferment according to my hydrometer. I haven't tasted it yet as it's sitting in a keg in the same freezer, now set to 3 degrees. I'll carbonate it this weekend.

On the Gold Coast I don't think I need a brew pad/belt in winter but I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

I have been using a Reptile One TerraHeat Heating Cable 25W in my chest freezer. Works a treat and is waterproof. You can go higher wattage but I found 25W to be sufficient for me (operated fermentation chamber in as low as 4C ambient over night). The 4.5m cord is coiled around a sheet of plywood, providing even heat dissipation. A PC fan circulates air through the chamber for even cooling and heating.

if the hobby sticks you'll get a fridge and temp control. first few batches just focus on getting healthy beer into bottles.

For now just do your best . in a dark place with a damp towel if warm , wrap it in a dry towels overnight if its too cool

Latest posts

Back