Hot Water System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWC

Reaction score
Having a rubbish cleanup day in my area this weekend and four doors down
is a nice big hot water heater.
Question is, are they all S/S and will it be any good
to cut in half for mash tun and HLT/ kettle??
All help appreciated

Dave

G'day Dave. You need to check the unit, most likely it will be an old enameled cylinder with the flu up the middle, so it won't be much use. For your sake I hope it's a s/s unit. When I last changed our old service for a new s/s job I did get some very good fibreglass insulation from around the cylinder, great for putting around your mashtun. :D

I scrounged one which was enamelled steel, the tank was no good but it had rockwool insulation protected by galv.steel cladding which was very handy. The second turned out to have a 200L copper tank which I hacksawed in half to give me a HLT and boiler insulated with the first mentioned crap. The third I pulled apart was my own solar unit which had sat on the roof too heavy to discard and too expensive to run in this gas fuelled State of ours. It had a 3600W element inside which powers the HLT.
A friend of mine uses a couple of 300L SS HWS to ferment and store his wine very successfully. I see them frequently at the tip shop for around $75.00.

Didn't get to have a look at it in the end, some other ******* got to it before me.
Bloody scabs :rolleyes:
Anyway I'll just have to keep looking.
Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back