Hoptea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
I know this has been done elsewhere but I've been doing searches and coming up blank, probably on account of the 3 letter words, hence the 6 letter word in this heading.

Anywho to my point ...

I'm trying to extract a bit more aroma from these Chinese hops and am thinking of trying the hop tea method.
Just wondering what methods people used? eg how much water to hop/ratio, what temp water, how long in the water?

So what have people done and what are they happy with?

Hrrmmm on the topic of those chinese hops, how do they go? Are they an inferior product like most mass produced chinese products?

Hrrmmm on the topic of those chinese hops, how do they go? Are they an inferior product like most mass produced chinese products?

I'm yet to complete a batch with them, but for mine the flavour and aroma is a little light on, but we are learning the ropes / characteristics of new hops (I've only use the Marco Polo so far). There's another thread on 'What I'm brewing with the Chinese hops' (or somthing like that). Some who have completed their beers with these hops are quite happy, but a lack of aroma does seem to be common ATM.

Back on topic though, have you gone the hop tea method?

I've tried this method steeping hops in boiling water for a few minutes and using a coffee plunger and added this to the fermenter at the end of fermentation and got bugger all aroma out of it. If you are after aroma I don't think you can beat dry hopping Jimmi.

cheers

Browndog

I've tried this method steeping hops in boiling water for a few minutes and using a coffee plunger and added this to the fermenter at the end of fermentation and got bugger all aroma out of it. If you are after aroma I don't think you can beat dry hopping Jimmi.

cheers

Browndog

Hi Browndog,
Ive had 1g/ltr of galaxy in dry for about a week after disappointing results from NC hopping the Marco Polo (1 day in cube only though). Just looking to give this hop another chance to express itself.
My plan is also to do the coffee plunger method, just wondering if others had any thoughts on the volume of hops and water and the temp and duration they steep for? I don't want to go overboard and end up grassy or vegetal.
I think from other threads I'e read some don't steep in boiling water but very hot.
ATM I think I'll add about 10g (^1/2 g per ltr of wert) to a cup of 85C water for about 5mins and add it to the keg when kegging.... unless I get some other tips.

Hi Browndog,
Ive had 1g/ltr of galaxy in dry for about a week after disappointing results from NC hopping the Marco Polo (1 day in cube only though). Just looking to give this hop another chance to express itself.
My plan is also to do the coffee plunger method, just wondering if others had any thoughts on the volume of hops and water and the temp and duration they steep for? I don't want to go overboard and end up grassy or vegetal.
I think from other threads I'e read some don't steep in boiling water but very hot.
ATM I think I'll add about 10g (^1/2 g per ltr of wert) to a cup of 85C water for about 5mins and add it to the keg when kegging.... unless I get some other tips.

Jimmi, I am 100% sure 10g will give you 99%*SFA, I used about 50g when I tried it. Just looking back at your post, are you looking for aroma from galaxy or the MP?

cheers

Browndog

Jimmi, I am 100% sure 10g will give you 99%*SFA, I used about 50g when I tried it. Just looking back at your post, are you looking for aroma from galaxy or the MP?

cheers

Browndog

I'm looking for more from the MP. The galaxy was thrown in because I didn't want an aroma less IPA and the MP hadn't delivered after about 30g at flame out and 30g in a NC cube. So you'd recommend 50g's or more? There's no shortage of the MP I just don't want to go overboard and end up grassy etc

I'm looking for more from the MP. The galaxy was thrown in because I didn't want an aroma less IPA and the MP hadn't delivered after about 30g at flame out and 30g in a NC cube. So you'd recommend 50g's or more? There's no shortage of the MP I just don't want to go overboard and end up grassy etc

Jimmi, can't you do it the normal way and add it at the end of fermentation/after racking, you will get much better results than using a hop tea.

Jimmi, can't you do it the normal way and add it at the end of fermentation/after racking, you will get much better results than using a hop tea.

The missus is due to give birth anytime (well more specifically on new years eve/day) so I was considering this method as a bit of a quick fix. The adding of the hop tea to the keg directly is done by someone else whose comments I read on a thread I can't find :( . They seemed pretty happy with the results. I'm working the search function overtime but getting diddly.

I'm yet to complete a batch with them, but for mine the flavour and aroma is a little light on, but we are learning the ropes / characteristics of new hops (I've only use the Marco Polo so far). There's another thread on 'What I'm brewing with the Chinese hops' (or somthing like that). Some who have completed their beers with these hops are quite happy, but a lack of aroma does seem to be common ATM.

Back on topic though, have you gone the hop tea method?

Nah I haven't, i've only just completed my first beer the other week, it was just a fairly simple pilsener, using Swiss yeast, 500gm LDME, 1kg of dex. Dry hopped with 20gm of B-saaz.

Came out mighty tasty I must say. Back to your point though, I wouldn't think "Hop tea" would work all that well, since a lot of what you want in the hops can be carried away through evaporation (* E.g. like distillation*)

Although, on that topic.... small scale pot distillation of hops? I wonder what that'd achieve? Do the aromatic oils of hops vaporise before water?

Maybe try a hop ball in the keg.

I have two of them, both have corroded out their latch which is why they don't get used much. One is making raspberry tea for the missus and the other I might throw in the keg if I lose faith in the hop tea idea and I'll cross my fingers the latch doesn't fall off.

Nah I haven't, i've only just completed my first beer the other week, it was just a fairly simple pilsener, using Swiss yeast, 500gm LDME, 1kg of dex. Dry hopped with 20gm of B-saaz.

Came out mighty tasty I must say. Back to your point though, I wouldn't think "Hop tea" would work all that well, since a lot of what you want in the hops can be carried away through evaporation (* E.g. like distillation*)

Although, on that topic.... small scale pot distillation of hops? I wonder what that'd achieve? Do the aromatic oils of hops vaporise before water?

The idea of the tea and other methods like NC hopping and hop back is that they trap / keep more of the volatiles than the regular boil. In theory ...

Latest posts

Back