Hopslist has launched!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Florian said:
OP, I think you should contact an Admin to get a retailer badge, just so that it's clear to everyone that it's not just pure goodwill that made you create your site, but that you also have a financial interest in people visiting it and ordering through the links provided.
Hi Florian,

I have already spoken site admins prior to posting and yes, there are affiliate links on certain varieties pointing to stockists on Amazon - each page that sports these links also contains disclaimers stating exactly that so please don't think I'm trying to hide anything.

I'm certainly not in this for money but from one realistic human being to another, I'm also not interested in hosting websites that can't at least support themselves. I'm sure you understand!

I felt these links were (at least for US-based folk) more useful and less intrusive than just plastering ads everywhere.

Happy to discuss this more if you like.

Your "goes well in a" list seems pretty random. Apparently "Bullion" is good for a Doppelbock and nothing else - and yet substitues for Columbus? Super POR is only good for Imperial Pale Ale, whatever that is. Chinook in a lager?

To be honest most of the information on each hop is pretty useless to a brewer. I think you will have to spend some more time going through each hop by hand to make this a valuable resource, rather than just regurgitating grower statistics.
If that's what it takes!

Thanks for the critical feedback though, it's highly useful. Naturally much of the data on the site has been compiled from various sources around the web (forums, growers sites etc) and is still very much a work in progress. I also understand substitutes and style are highly subjective too.

Aside from that, there are some varieties I have heaps of styles and subs for, others nothing so contributions from the community are always welcome. The data is pretty raw right now and I'm sure there are things in there that aren't quite right (I had Galaxy in the aroma hop column for like 2 weeks until I realised the mistake) but it's a start!

The way I see it, the most important info for brewers would probably be the flavour/aroma characteristics, alpha/beta percentages, possible styles and potential substitutes. I'm trying to stick to that core as much as i can. It's also worth noting that this will hopefully end up being a source for growers too, not just brewers.

What I'd do is make a chart/matrix, with beer styles on one axis, hop varieties on the other, and in each box mark A, F, B as appropriate. Use that as a tool to clean up your database. The use of a hop for a purpose is not necessarily the same across all beer styles, so this would catch that.

For example, you would use Magnum in an IPA for clean bittering, but you wouldn't rely on it for the major flavour/aroma component in that style. But you could use Magnum in a lager for everything.

You wont hear much about the 100 things that you did well, only the few things that aren't quite right yet.

I for one am suitably impressed.

I'm sure a few edits over time it will end up being quite the resource.

dent said:
What I'd do is make a chart/matrix, with beer styles on one axis, hop varieties on the other, and in each box mark A, F, B as appropriate. Use that as a tool to clean up your database. The use of a hop for a purpose is not necessarily the same across all beer styles, so this would catch that.

For example, you would use Magnum in an IPA for clean bittering, but you wouldn't rely on it for the major flavour/aroma component in that style. But you could use Magnum in a lager for everything.
Yes!! Great idea.

I think that's something nobody has really done either.

Hows this: http://www.hopslist.com/hops/bittering-hops/748-magnum ?

I see you have subscripted a couple of the styles. There is still the original problem, which is the randomness of the selection of styles shown under the hop entry. I guess there is an issue too where some hops are useful for pretty much every style, for bittering especially - not much point listing every one of them in the hop entry.

Perhaps the styles are too granular - really as far as hops goes there isn't many categories where it matters - you have pale ale, stout, lager, wheat, belgian, english. Doesn't matter if it is american IPA, amber ale, pale ale. Nut Brown ale doesn't need to be called out specifically to match with a hop.

You know, just as important, is what styles some hops are particularly bad for. Like you wouldn't use Galaxy in a Pils unless you're bloody minded enough to set out to do so on purpose.

Well done. Haven't spent my time on the site yet, but my first comment is the site is probably getting slammed, as it is a bit slow at the moment. Taking about 13 seconds to render the home page.

Cheers,
Idzy

idzy said:
Well done. Haven't spent my time on the site yet, but my first comment is the site is probably getting slammed, as it is a bit slow at the moment. Taking about 13 seconds to render the home page.

Cheers,
Idzy
Outstanding avatar sir.

I've had some really frustrating issues with hosting so far. Some things have been fixed, others I still need to look at. Not really my strong point though so it might take a while to get the site totally optimized and speedy. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA currently.

Yob said:
Out of general curiosity, where are you based Heals?
Glen Iris, Victoria.

Heals said:
Hi Florian,

I have already spoken site admins prior to posting and yes, there are affiliate links on certain varieties pointing to stockists on Amazon - each page that sports these links also contains disclaimers stating exactly that so please don't think I'm trying to hide anything.

I'm certainly not in this for money but from one realistic human being to another, I'm also not interested in hosting websites that can't at least support themselves. I'm sure you understand!

I felt these links were (at least for US-based folk) more useful and less intrusive than just plastering ads everywhere.

Happy to discuss this more if you like.
No worries, if you're only trying to cover hosting costs then fair enough. I just assumed though that someone with 'Entrepranureal spirit', as you say about yourself, would aim for a bit more than that. I have absolutely no problem with that if that was the case, by the way (don't we all love a good business plan), just always good to set things straight from the beginning so people don't get 'funny' when they realise later on.

Best of luck with it!

For sure, thanks. Honesty is always the best policy. Appologies if I didn't communicate that better.

Brewing has always been a passion for me so I figured what better way to learn the ropes launching a site than by doing something like this.

Whether you're selling something or not, I reckon the goal online should always be to create valuable content. Otherwise what's the point right? You're just another spammer taking advantage of someone. Hardly fulfilling work!

Heals said:
Outstanding avatar sir.

I've had some really frustrating issues with hosting so far. Some things have been fixed, others I still need to look at. Not really my strong point though so it might take a while to get the site totally optimized and speedy. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA currently.

Glen Iris, Victoria.
Show some Aussie love, mate!

Heals said:
(I had Galaxy in the aroma hop column for like 2 weeks until I realised the mistake)
That's not a mistake. Galaxy for bittering is a mistake!

dent said:
I'm actually looking For something like this.
As a new partial mash brewer, it would be easier for me to choose and select a varied selection of hops for my brews

H0U5ECAT said:
I'm actually looking For something like this.
As a new partial mash brewer, it would be easier for me to choose and select a varied selection of hops for my brews
I really like that idea actually. Will look to getting something drawn up.

DU99 said:
Still missing a few variety's
If you can let us know which varieties aren't there, we'll do some research and add them to the list.

How about on that page that has the list, draw up a chart that has the styles plotted on it and can click on each one?
Just a different way to show the styles.

I thought I would come in and say great list mate. I have bookmarked the site for future reference.

Well I got rhizomes from a neighbor 4 years ago and grew them all here in Central Victoria and they were Columbus, cluster, Hall Hersh, Cascade and Victoria. Victoria was the only one that grew well in out acidic hostile soils but do you think I could find anything about this variety here on the wide web? No, till now, thanks mate. Now I know it actually exists.

That's awesome Shaneygrog, glad you found it useful!

I don't suppose you have any pics of the cones close up?

Same goes for anyone that has varieties growing at home or on the farm.. Provided you don't mind sharing, I really want to get some pics up so folks can see what each variety looks like.

Back