Hops Selections

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangaz

Reaction score
I've just started AG and am trying to build up a good range of hops to choose from without having too much crossover. At the moment I've got Stirling, Green Bullet, Hallertau and East kent Goldings.
The following are other options that are relatively cheap. Which ones should I get and why?
-fuggles
-willamette
-styrian goldings

I guess the answer is depends on what style of beers you like.
I have alot of uk friends and family, so I'm making alot of bitters and stouts. For that I have a heap of fuggles and ekg in the freezer.

But I'm also getting to really like a hopy IPA, so I'm now getting a few other bits and pieces like citra and amarillo

I'm sure others will drop there 2c worth in as well

Looking at your list there are no "c" hops there, i.e. something for an APA, cascade, chinook, citra, centennial, columbus. If I were you I'd definitely go Cascade. IMHO you don't have a hop collection without it. Maybe try come amarillo or galaxy as well. So many to choose from...

Why don't you do a bit of research on the said hops and answer the question yourself?

Try some british, noble, american and aussie/NZ hops and see what takes your fancy!

AS above.
And next year you can put some in the ground as you have a hop Rhizome seller in W.A.
For me i want to be able to grow enough flowers to not have to worry about buying them.

At Present in the ground.

Pride of ringwood(AU)
Hallertau(GR)
Goldings(UK)
Hersbrucker(GR)

Just need to get some Saaz and cascade/chinook to cover my bases for Czech,German,UK
and USA styles of Beer and Ales

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I made a good choice with my rhizomes then, I put in three cascades a few weeks ago. I'd also love to grow enough to feed my new addiction, so I'll have to see how these plants go. Two have sprouted, still waiting for number 3.
I've been doing plenty of research but theres only so much you can get from a large list of varieties and their properties without actually using them. I was just looking for opinions from people who've actually used them so I can start trying as many styles as possible. Expansive collections of hops can come once I've got a few more brews under the belt.
Just relised I've got challenger available as well

Back