• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hops Rhizomes & Crowns for sale - Melb NE suburbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat B

Reaction score
I have a number of rhizomes to sell and 4 big crowns. Would prefer pick-up from NE suburbs of Melbourne, but can post at your expense. From what I've read, posting to Tas and WA is pretty tricky so I'll have to exclude those states, sorry.

There's three varieties available:

Here's how I'm pricing them (not inc. postage)

CASCADE
Crowns
  • 680g - $30
  • 430g - $25
  • 235g - $20

Rhizomes
  • Bigger ones - $15 each
  • Smaller thin ones $5 each

UNKNOWN/MYSTERY
  • Crown - $15
  • Rhizomes - $5 each

WILD OTWAY

• Rhizomes - $15 for the lot

Please PM me directly if you're interested.

Cascade 1.jpg
Cascade 2.jpg Cascade 3.jpg Cascade bunch 1.jpg Cascade bunch 2.jpg Cascade bunch 3.jpg Cascade bunch 4.jpg Mystery Crown.jpg Mystery zomes.jpg Wild Otway.jpg

Hi Mat,

Couple of questions, hope you don't mind.

1. Do you have any pictures of the cones that the Wild Otway produces? Even if it is a Golding, I would consider buying it or swapping for some Victoria rhizome if you are interested. I used to grow Golding and it is a great hop for English Ales. Reading that blog you linked to suggests there are a few different Goldings. It would be interesting to compare them.

2. In terms of your mystery variety, couldn't you just compare it to the Cascade you are growing to see if it is the same.

I don't mind at all.

1. No I don't sorry. Just had a look. I've only had it in the ground for one season, and to be honest I didn't put much effort into it. It did flower, but they were very small and very few. I think if they received some proper attention they might provide decent yield. Apparently that's what they get in the otways, and the Forrest brewery use them. Just thought someone might be interested to experiment. I'm going to give them some attention this year for sure.

2. That was my plan, but they've never flowered. I think that's because they were in a pot for years and never had any real infrastructure for the bines to climb. Last year I moved it to the garden (hence the big crown), but I never managed the bines and they didn't have anything to climb. I was just focussing on the cascade. That's part of the reason I'm asking for less. I can't give any real insights into them.

Some more info on the Otway variety: I got my original rhizome from another AHB member AJ80. Around that time he mentioned that his had flowered a little bit, and "The flowers were quite interesting, quite earthy and spicy with just a touch of fruit."

Yeah, that is not much to go on. You have me wondering now if they are possibly even seedlings. Do you know if there are any male hops located in the area? I'm from the Adelaide area but it sounds interesting enough to make me want to go for a drive down that way lol.

It's possible. They've been growing in the region wild since war times apparently so it could have spread from seed. If you do go there, it's lovely.

Cool, I will try and get down that way later in the year and see if I can find some male hops to get some rhizome for breeding purposes. I also want to do some exploration for mushrooms, so I have 2 reasons to go there. Cheers.

I'm struggling to PM you. However I'm keen to buy some rhizomes of you. So if you can advise or give me an email address to contact you that would be great. Cheers Greg.

I have a number of rhizomes to sell and 4 big crowns. Would prefer pick-up from NE suburbs of Melbourne, but can post at your expense. From what I've read, posting to Tas and WA is pretty tricky so I'll have to exclude those states, sorry.

There's three varieties available:

Here's how I'm pricing them (not inc. postage)

CASCADE
Crowns
  • 680g - $30
  • 430g - $25
  • 235g - $20

Rhizomes
  • Bigger ones - $15 each
  • Smaller thin ones $5 each

UNKNOWN/MYSTERY
  • Crown - $15
  • Rhizomes - $5 each

WILD OTWAY

• Rhizomes - $15 for the lot

Please PM me directly if you're interested.

View attachment 112655
View attachment 112656 View attachment 112657 View attachment 112658 View attachment 112659 View attachment 112660 View attachment 112661 View attachment 112662 View attachment 112663 View attachment 112664

I'm struggling to PM you. However I'm keen to buy some rhizomes of you. So if you can advise or give me an email address to contact you that would be great. Cheers Greg.
Did some searching on the site. Apparently we can't message you because you haven't posted much. Perhaps go leave a few comments on threads you're interested in and see if that helps. Pretty annoying I know. Don't stress, I have plenty of stock left.

Did some searching on the site. Apparently we can't message you because you haven't posted much. Perhaps go leave a few comments on threads you're interested in and see if that helps. Pretty annoying I know. Don't stress, I have plenty of stock left.
Have you got an email account we can correspond through?

Have you got an email account we can correspond through?
You might be able to message now, or Mat should be able to PM you, because when I click your name there is a 'start conversation' tab.

As much as your profile pic scares me you've twisted my arm. PM sent.

As much as your profile pic scares me you've twisted my arm. PM sent.

My dudes, here's what I have left:

CASCADE
Crowns
  • 1 x 680g - $30
  • 1 x 430g - $25
Rhizomes
  • 2 x Bigger ones - $15 each
  • 1 x Bigger one with a bend in the middle (it's still healthy though) - $10
  • 4 x Smaller thin ones $5 each
UNKNOWN/MYSTERY
  • 1 x Crown - $15
WILD OTWAY
  • 3 x Rhizomes - make me an offer.

Still got 2 Cascade crowns and the mystery/unknown crown. Come on fellas - make me an offer.

Back