Hops On Top Of Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebba

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just checked my latest brew, my first all extract. Krausen is looking fine, but I notice what appears to be all the hop pulp (from pellets) sitting on top of it. Is this normal? I'm worried I'll be losing out on hop flavour, and I'm already a tad concerned about there not being enough - based on taste of the wort at boil and at the SG test I took today. (FTR, the taste today was still fantastic - I'm real excited about this one, but I do like my hops!)

Also, I know people say to dry hop after 3-4 days, but what would be the ideal SG differential that you'd be looking to pitch into? Let's say starting SG was 1054 and you're expecting it to hit about 1014-1010 (estimate, based on nothing specific), would you dry hop around 1020? 1030? The reason I ask is that I've got this one as cold as I can get it without a fridge, etc, and I reckon it'll be going a little slower then usual. It's sitting on 17-18 degrees in an ice bath, and I'm guessing she'll take a good 2 weeks till I get steady readings.

FYI I'm using Tettnang pellets with
20g @ 60min
10g @ 15min
10g @ 5min
10g @ 0min
20g for dryhop

RDWHAHB.

It will be fine i got this before i used a hopscreen in my kettle.

KHB

Dry hop when the Krausen falls back, typically 5 days.

cheers Ross

Back