Hops In Winter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
Ok guys as a new hop grower its about the time where theyre all dying off and im wondering what to do next , any help appreciated ....

Ok guys as a new hop grower its about the time where theyre all dying off and im wondering what to do next , any help appreciated ....

When they die off (different species, different times) cut them off about an inch above the ground.

Screwy

thanks screwy , thats pretty much what i thought , but the strange thing is theyre sprouting the pink sprouts again like they did in spring , this weather is confusin them i think , am i right in guessing that after you cut them back you would cover them in mulch or somethin for the winter?

Cut them back once the plant has sucked all of the goodies back into the rhizome, and it has truly died off.

It is an idea to get a lot of decomposed organic matter (like cow dung or mushroom compost) onto them so that there is a good hive of soil activity for the second year growth, but don't chuck to much unrotted material there. As I understand it, this might deplete (fixed?) soil nitrogen.

I will be getting a trailer and doing some shovelling rounds in the cow paddocks where I have mine growing.

Latest posts

Back