Hops In My Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margwar

Reaction score
I have put a extract brew down and added hops during the boil (as you do), but I forgot to strain the wort into my fermenter, to many James Squire IPA's during the boil me think. What is the best way now to ensure that I dont get Hops residue in my beer when I am bottling?
Cheers....

I would think using a clearing agent and leaving it a 2-4 degrees for a week or 2 should drop most yeast/hop residue out.

Even just dropping it down to 2 degrees for a week should help out alot.

Nowadays I throw hop pellets into the fermenter just after high Krausen for some aroma. I drop the temperature of the wort towards the end of fermentation and try not to stir up the fermenter too much when its time to get the beer out.

Basically I am saying that it should settle just like the yeast.

Leave it for an extra week, and the yeast should drop it out.
Or Use a fining agent, like gelatin... supermarket variety works fine. Google it here to see how to use it. Pretty easy, just dissolve it, dump it in, and wait 2-3 days.
Or do both.

You'll probably find the yeast will work well enough

Thanks for that... I guess I wasnt sure if the hops would sink with the Yeast or just hang around mid fermenter... Thanks for the quick replies.

Or Use a fining agent, like gelatin... supermarket variety works fine. Google it here to see how to use it. Pretty easy, just dissolve it, dump it in, and wait 2-3 days.
Or do both.

Yep, works well as described above.
After ferment finish, rack, adding the Gel' and after a few days all should clear nicely.

Cheers Ivan. ;)

If dry hopping with pellets I just chuck them into the fermenter after a few days. The majority sink to the bottom, some form a 'green ring' around the top of the brew that sticks to the sides, but you shouldn't have any problems with floaters, especially if you use gelatine as suggested.
Racking to another vessel for a cold crash and fining should give you crystal clear finished beer.

Back