Hops How Do I Bag Them Use Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, I am assuming you have a tap coming out of the centre of your boiler's base... is that right? Any reason why you decided to go down this track? I can't figure out how this works when using a gas burner...

T.D. said:
Ross, I am assuming you have a tap coming out of the centre of your boiler's base... is that right? Any reason why you decided to go down this track? I can't figure out how this works when using a gas burner...
[post="92619"][/post]​

TD,

It's how the system came, i bought it 2nd hand - I'll post some pics on a new thread, as this has gone a little off topic...

cheers Ross

How often can u reuse a hop bag I notice that you can buy them for a modest price and I've also heard mention of a steel ball?

How do u clean them as well?

I assume they do have a lifespan, but I have both a hop bag and a grain bag (same, just different sizes) and they show no evidence of wearing out.

To clean mine, I just scrunch it up in a ball in my hands and run water over it (with my hands cupped underneath it). As the water absorbs into the grain bag I just squeeze it all out and most of the hop debris comes out with it. I do that until it looks pretty much clean to the naked eye. Then I dry it off. By the time it is dry (not long) I can see some of the hops that I have missed, but they basically just brush off once it is all dry.

Yeah, definitely. When I am brewing/racking/bottling I always have at least 10L of iodophor (in solution) lying around. I just soak the hop/grain bag in that for 20 mins or so. Seems to work well.

And how many hops just to add abit of flavour cant imagine it would be much more than a palmful would it?

Yeah, about that I guess. I would say something like 20-30g is a good starting point for dry hopping.

I use good old napisan on my hop bags - brings them back like new.
As TD said - approx 1 gm per litre is a good starting point for dry hopping - I think the little hbs teabag ones hold approx 15 gms.

Cheers Ross

Sorry Ross. Don't know what I was thinking.... Can't blame it on beer. I was at work at the time!

Joel said:
Sorry Ross. Don't know what I was thinking.... Can't blame it on beer. I was at work at the time!
[post="92789"][/post]​

Don't apologise - took it as a compliment :)

Latest posts

Back