Hoppy beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to agree with the point of view that hot wort is better at dissolving hop oils into solution. I have let wort cool to 90 degrees in order to reduce AA isomerization before adding hops and achieved good results.
Yeast strain is critical to the level of flavour retained. I don't really aim for aroma, but do seem to have good aroma when I crack a bottle. I don't know it that's due to the aroma being in the neck of the bottle or if I just become desensitized to aroma as I drink the beer.
An alternative to gypsum might be acidulated malt for those who wish to keep their beer more pure.

Anyone done any experiments into dry hop strength between primary and secondary?

In primary, I'd have thought the hops would sink into the trube and be useless.

toncils said:
Anyone done any experiments into dry hop strength between primary and secondary?

In primary, I'd have thought the hops would sink into the trube and be useless.
The hop oils released during dry hoping are volatile. During primary the fermentation process blows off a lot of the hop oils so there's not a lot of point to it.

During early ferment some does get blown off, many wait until just a few points remain to do so...

Dry hopping rocks, I will also often dry hop at cold conditioning and/or keg for beers/styles that it suits

As long as its exposed to the beer, no probs, as they settle, they're still sitting on the top of the trub right?

Aha, that makes sense; the hops shouldn't sink into the trube.

I dry hopped my last batch, didn't think to check if they'd float. Delicious beer, though- 20g gram Northern Brewer dry in a 9lt batch (14 for 60, 4 for 20 and 5 for 5).

I know this thread is moreso about aroma, but I've always wondered what the difference is between, say, 30g for 60 minutes VS 60g for 30 minutes, (or the IBU equivalent)? IE- if the bitterness stays the same, what's the taste difference?

That MR Malty link is sexcellent.

toncils said:
I know this thread is moreso about aroma, but I've always wondered what the difference is between, say, 30g for 60 minutes VS 60g for 30 minutes, (or the IBU equivalent)? IE- if the bitterness stays the same, what's the taste difference?

I find bittering additions at 20 minutes quite nice, retains some flavour, it's what I have used for my last few MO/Cascade SMaSH beers.

toncils said:

Whilst the bitterness level is the same the flavour profile changes a lot depending on the time of the addition and the hop variety used.

The timing of additions also depends on the style being brewed. Some beers like a wheat beer or a Coopers Pale Ale style brew only have a 60min addition.

There's a correlation between boil time and the amount of bitterness and flavour imparted. Generally a 60min addition will extract maximum bitterness but impart little hop flavour. A 30min addition will extract about half the bitterness of a 60min addition but will impart a little more hop flavour. There's a general consensus late hop additions, ie the last 20mins to whirlpool additions, impart the most hop flavour.

This had lead to ideas such as 10 mins IPA's where all the hops are added in the last 10mins of the boil to achieve the same IBU level as a traditional hopping schedule. The practice of only using late addition is called ‘hop bursting’. Hop selection is important in particular using aromatic varieties like Cascade, Amarillo, Tomahawk, Simcoe, Chinook, and Centennial.

There is an increasing school of thought late hop additions create a smoother bitterness than a 60min addition. Having said that the bitterness, perceived or otherwise, seems to be different between a 60min addition and a late addition.

I know Scotty from Rocks Brewing is a big fan of strictly using a 60min addition and a whirlpool addition. I’ve started trying this too with good results. There bitterness level is relatively similar to a traditional hopping schedule but the hop flavour is much more prominent.

Aroma aside, it's a more gravelly or undefined bitterness in longer boils?

How would it taste if you, say, boiled for 120 minutes but still achieve the same ibu? (disregard the malt flavours, I know that would taste hugely different)?

I plan to start trying late hopping. Never been into bitter flavours, so it would be nice to smooth them out.

toncils said:
Aroma aside, it's a more gravelly or undefined bitterness in longer boils?

How would it taste if you, say, boiled for 120 minutes but still achieve the same ibu? (disregard the malt flavours, I know that would taste hugely different)?

I plan to start trying late hopping. Never been into bitter flavours, so it would be nice to smooth them out.

There is a general consensus a 60min boil extracts the maximum bitterness from hops. After this point it tapers off and there is no benefit in a longer boil. So bascially 60mins is the longest boil you'd do, there is no point boiling the wort beyond this.

Using all late additions doesn't seem to impart the same level of bitterness as a a 60min addition to provide an underlying bitterness in conjunction with late hopping. So to get a right balance of bitterness try a 60min addition to achieve a 1/3 of your IBU target and using late hopping to provide the remaining 2/3's of the IBUs.

Some hop utilization times in the boil

5mins.......8%
10mins.....12%
20min...... 16%
30min.......24%
40min.......26%
60min.......35%
80min.......37%
100min.....40%
120min.....42%

Latest posts

Back