Hopping Into Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I have just racked my brew to secondary, it stopped at SG1.014 from 1.042 recipe as below .. my question is should I add hops to the secondary? I have heard this is good for aroma, I have Goldings and Mt Hood in the fridge ..

2006 Australia Day Ale

Partial Mash, 1.5kg Maltcraft traditional ale, 1kg Baird's Maris Otter, 500g Maltcraft light crystal, 1.5kg unhopped pale extract.

Mash @ 67degC. American Mt Hood AAU=3.7 35g@90mins, 22g@30min, wirfloc@15min, 35g@5min.

Aiming for around 23IBU. Wyeast liquid 1098 British Ale yeast from starter. 90 min boil.

Aerated with airstone before and after pitching. Starter looked dormant.
SG 1.042 FG 1.014 (4.4%??)

Do you think it will drop any more points in secondary?

Give it a go, manaen. :beerbang:

Since you have used Mount Hood throughout, why not dry hop with that and really get to know that hop up close and personal. I've just chucked them in the secondary, but you can also make a tea with them. Either will work.

It may still drop a few points, but since most of the fermentation is done, not too much of the aroma should be 'blown off' by that.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Mount Hood hops in due course.

Cheers

Manaen,

What temp did you ferment at?

It was in my fermenting fridge the whole time, so it ranged between 18-21 deg C..

I will dry hop with some mount hood now :)

manaen said:
It was in my fermenting fridge the whole time, so it ranged between 18-21 deg C..

I will dry hop with some mount hood now :)
[post="106060"][/post]​

Assuming you've racked to a cube, dry hop, remove from fridge & warm up to ambient room temp. release the cap each morning for signs of CO2 still being produced. Once this stops, CC & procced as normal...

cheers Ross

amazing how much that cube swells when you think it's all done. good point Ross. makes bottling more consistant as well (if ycbf bottling)

Latest posts

Back