Lasy Brew .. Honey Taste?!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Ok I hadn't done a partial for a while so I just slapped this one together. It fermented at 20-22degC in 9 days using safale S-04 (same SG reading for 2 days).

For some reason it has a distinct honey flavour? could it be that it just needs to mature a bit? I tasted it a week after racking to secondary.

Here is the recipe:

Slap together ale
Partial mash, 4kg JW ale, 1.5kg unhopped pale liquid malt.
Mashed around 66deg. 25g @ 60mins, 15g @ 45mins, 10g @ 0mins.
S-04 packet yeast in starter.
SG 1.055 FG 1.014 (about 6%)

Any ideas?

Manaen

Have a little play with promash or beersmith brewing software. I just tried out your recipe (guessing a 23litre batch) and it seems that you would have had a bitterness of about 22IBU. Since there weren't really any late hop additions, this would mean that there would not be so much hop flavour to the brew. So perhaps what you are tasting is the sweetness. I would say for an English Style bitter like this that you could have more hops than that. The standard for a bitter with a gravity of 1054 would be more like 40IBU.

Try a search for some of the threads on bitters, there's a good one called something like How do you do your bitter that Jayse started.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Did you mix your LME properly...?
maybe you have some LME siting in your tap at the bottom of the cube... although if its in secondary this wouldn't be likely.
Ive never had S-04 take 9 Days.... or had it finished earlier than that.?

How distinct? I've found some beers, especially good light lagers, do have a subtle honeyed flavour.

Kai said:
How distinct? I've found some beers, especially good light lagers, do have a subtle honeyed flavour.
[post="103639"][/post]​

I agree there Kai

Perhaps if the honey taste is stronger (not subtle) , my guess is mashed at too higher temperture.

Cheers
Batz

With that IBU and so4 its bound to be sweetish/fruity.(early)

Leave it at least 4/6 weeks in bottle b4 trying and it may have more tart/drier finish.

I find so4 apricotty early on.

I recently did an AG with marris otter and crystal,and 3 additions of goldings (35 IBU)pitched with so4 that reached 24/26 in primary,and did the crazy thing of adding 1 gm/litre of simcoe to secondary. Apricot city. Aging it as a british summer ale.

Back