Hopping Esb Fresh Wort's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Guess I've turned into the ultimate lazy brewer, having made my last 4 brews with the ESB fresh wort 15Lt thingy's.
Love the results, but feel they could be improved with some extra bittering & flovour hops added. :blink:
How, & when do I do this, do I use some of the wort in a boil with hop pellet's before primary, or dry hop in a "tea" bag in primary or secondary.
Also what hops to add to the ESB amber ale, to finish up like the James Squire amber ale. :p

Thanks guys

Normell

Williamette hops is what they use in JSAA. I did a batch using it and had a very distinct squires taste.

Cheers
junior

I'd probably grab some Crystal malt or similar to "steep".... (maybe 200g, up to you). Then boil the resulting wort from the steep, with your hops for 10 minutes or so.. Willamette is the go, as Jnr said.

normell said:
Guess I've turned into the ultimate lazy brewer, having made my last 4 brews with the ESB fresh wort 15Lt thingy's.
Love the results, but feel they could be improved with some extra bittering & flovour hops added. :blink:
How, & when do I do this, do I use some of the wort in a boil with hop pellet's before primary, or dry hop in a "tea" bag in primary or secondary.
Also what hops to add to the ESB amber ale, to finish up like the James Squire amber ale. :p

Thanks guys

Normell
[post="102291"][/post]​

Norm - Getting the taste for AG beer, hey? :chug:

Won't be long I reckon, before you join the fold :)

Try dry hopping in the secondary - 1gm per litre to start...

cheers Ross...

Ross said:
normell said:

Thanks guys

Normell
[post="102291"][/post]​

cheers Ross...
[post="102371"][/post]​

Yeah, trying too resist the AG pull, working so far, but for how long don't know.
Have done a Grumpy's "1", and about 4 ESB freshie's, shit they are good.
Better just go back too the Masterbrew's & extrabrew's I think.

resist, resist, resist.

Normell

normell said:
Ross said:
normell said:

Thanks guys

Normell
[post="102291"][/post]​

cheers Ross...
[post="102371"][/post]​

Yeah, trying too resist the AG pull, working so far, but for how long don't know.

resist, resist, resist.

Normell
[post="102396"][/post]​

You can't resist it Normell, it's like a black hole......

[post="102371"][/post]​
[/quote]

resist, resist, resist.

Normell
[post="102396"][/post]​
[/quote]

Just give in,You know you want to ;)

Normell,

Does this mean you will be one of those "I'm better than you.'cause I'm a god almighty ALL GRAINER"s?

Do you make the ESB up to 15 litres or 20 or more? That, of course, will alter the flavour somewhat.
You may already have some idea of how much hop flavour you like, and I'd use that as a guide to hopping these "jerry can" brews.
If you are not too familiar with hopping, you may want to try separately (to be able to evaluate each change), the following:
1/ Dry hop (start with 5g of your fave, or whatever you feel is the right/appropriate hop).
2/ Coffee plunger technique - again (with your choice of hop - pellets or tea bag) in a coffee plunger with hot water for 10 min and toss into the wort. This can be done prior to pitching yeast, when racking to secondary, or racking to keg/ bottling bucket.
3/ Bittering hops - you could do a mini-boil with hops boiled for 60 min and additional hops at 10 min before flame-out and more at flame-out, or any combination. This can be added at any stage of the process: in the initial wort before pitching, at racking or at kegging/ bottling. You add your bottling sugar to the boil and rack onto this in the bottling bucket.

Don't worry about the "joining the fold" comment above. You are a member of the fold already, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's great to see that most of the brew elitism has gone since I've been on the forum these 12ish months. It's true that it's hard to appreciate or participate fully here if you don't do, or at least have an understanding of ag, but it's not exclusive to non-ag'ers.

Seth :p

BTW, I do ag, kitzenbitz, partials and extract brews. Whatever takes my fancy. But most of all, I make beer! So do we all...

Weizguy said:
Normell,

Does this mean you will be one of those "I'm better than you.'cause I'm a god almighty ALL GRAINER"s?

Do you make the ESB up to 15 litres or 20 or more? That, of course, will alter the flavour somewhat.
You may already have some idea of how much hop flavour you like, and I'd use that as a guide to hopping these "jerry can" brews.
If you are not too familiar with hopping, you may want to try separately (to be able to evaluate each change), the following:
1/ Dry hop (start with 5g of your fave, or whatever you feel is the right/appropriate hop).
2/ Coffee plunger technique - again (with your choice of hop - pellets or tea bag) in a coffee plunger with hot water for 10 min and toss into the wort. This can be done prior to pitching yeast, when racking to secondary, or racking to keg/ bottling bucket.
3/ Bittering hops - you could do a mini-boil with hops boiled for 60 min and additional hops at 10 min before flame-out and more at flame-out, or any combination. This can be added at any stage of the process: in the initial wort before pitching, at racking or at kegging/ bottling. You add your bottling sugar to the boil and rack onto this in the bottling bucket.

Don't worry about the "joining the fold" comment above. You are a member of the fold already, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's great to see that most of the brew elitism has gone since I've been on the forum these 12ish months. It's true that it's hard to appreciate or participate fully here if you don't do, or at least have an understanding of ag, but it's not exclusive to non-ag'ers.

Seth :p

BTW, I do ag, kitzenbitz, partials and extract brews. Whatever takes my fancy. But most of all, I make beer! So do we all...
[post="102429"][/post]​

Shit W/guy youv'e got a good memory.
Yes I have made some stupit statements in the past :blink: and will try some of these ideas before I become a full all grainer, but it's getting closer, god forbid.
Maybe with you & Ross pushing the A/G path, well you never know

I've only been a K&K or partial brewer until now, because I've been too scared to try anything Else, but you never never know until you give it a go

Norm,

As I told someone else recently, it's a giant leap of faith to do your first partial and/or full ag.

I'm sure U have the b@ll$ 4 it. Just need to find the time and motivation.

BTW, just messin' wit U b4. I been hanging on to that comment U made about ag brewers for a little while. By the time I noticed it on the thread, other good brewers had taken U to task and requested that you read the article I referred to. Will be posting there 2nite re the "passionate one...tasting". That's the link to the whole thread below...

I certainly don't like to push the ag path. One just needs to point in the direction and U will find your way there, if that is your destiny. I've only done 10 ag beers in the last 30 months. Getting more confident now. I'm finding the main attraction to be the variety of flavour that U can obtain. And for me the flavour is why I make/ drink/ evangelise about it. Have U been to the beer evangelism thread? Worth a look and if U don't laugh, you've missed half of it.

Cheers and take it easy, Normell!

Insane Fizzy Cordial Beers thread. Gimme 1/2 hour to taste, evaluate* sp edit* and report.

Seth Cordial beer-ist :p :beerbang:

G'day Normell

As Weizguy says up there somwhere the AG thing is not that mysterious. I've just completed my second AG and, though not ready to take on the world, it has boosted my confidence in beer making no end. The cost is no great thing. I think, apart from what I already owned from K & K stuff and then the next step of extract brewing has probably come in under $200, spread over about 4 years. All it takes is to look at something and see how it can be used in your brewing world: My whloe mash tun and manifold came in under $40 along with a bit of elbow grease.

And the best part of mashing, sparging, lautering, boiling etc. is that you don't get to miss too much of the cricket on TV.

Regards

Steve

Hi all,

Did some pilsener from a fresh wort kit made up to 20 litres.

First sample 1 month later... watery as hell. :(

Mind you... I added some lemon peel for the acidic citrus touch which I dont mind but it seems to have totally killed the Malt / hops flavor (not overpowered... just neutralized).

Or maybe there is bugger all flavor to begin with?

Maybe it needs more time...
Any thoughts?

I found that using Super Alpha as a bittering hop instead of Northern Brewer I got a nice Citrus flavour that wasn't overpowering.
Never used the actual fruit!
James

I've heard that kits excellent I've done the Aussie Draft numerous times, hopping or adding extra's to the 3kg's defeats the purpose of buying that line of kits as its done to perfection to start with.

I have only done the IPA from the Fresh Wort kits range, which was a nice drop, pretty hoppy. I'd be surprised if the Pilsner wasn't good too. What yeast did you use with that? What temperature? Should be tasting ok after a month.

Latest posts

Back