Hopping A 'golden Summer Ale'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb

Reaction score
For my next batch I'd like to brew a golden summer ale, something in the style of James Squire Golden, LC Bright Ale, or Dr Smurtos Golden Ale.

I have the following hops left over from other batches that I think might be suitable:

40 grams summer saaz (4.7%)
25 grams nelson sauvin (10.8%)
10 grams simcoe (12.3%)

Any ideas on how to use these. I'm thinking of using the nelson sauvin for bitterness so I can late hop the simcoe to get the passionfruit flavor out of it. Then, use mainly the summer saaz for late and 0 minute or dry hopping.

Do you think I have enough here to get something with decent flavor, or should I supplement it with something extra.

(I have brewer's gold and hallertau as well but don't think they'd be what I'm after here.)

I'm planning to use 1.5kg of liquid wheat malt (actually a 50/50 mix) and 1.5 of plain light liquid malt for the base, and steeping some munich or caramalt for extra flavor.

I used 180 grams of Amarillo on my first AG - 50L of Dr S Golden Ale, how bigga batch are you planning?

3 different hops will give an interesting profile. Not sure if they will compete with each other, is it worth going an IPA considering you want to use 3 different hops?

Looking forward to hearing what others suggest though!

2c.

It will be an ~22 litre batch. I mainly want to use up the summer saaz.

OK, what I ended up doing was:
Bought 12g of Super Alpha (12%) for bittering - 75 min boil
20g Summer Saaz (4.7%) at 15mins
20g Summer Saaz at 0 mins

I will add the 10g of Simcoe dry either to the primary after fermentation dies down or to the secondary which I might do later. (as I want to get this as clear as possible)

Beersmith says 21 IBU, but then Beersmith's IBU level changes if I sneeze...

Slightly OT but is Summer Saaz an Oz hop variety or NZ?

Latest posts

Back