Hopburst

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of the weekend's 150L hopburst. It wasn't the smoothest brewday I've ever had (pump drama mainly) but we got it all done in the end. Hope the pics aren't too big, I can't reduce them on my work computer!

The brewery
brewery.JPG

Kettle
Kettle.JPG

Inside the kettle
inside_kettle.JPG

Inside the mash tun
inside_MLT.JPG

Under way...
under_way.JPG

The sparge
sparge_arm.JPG
lauter.JPG

The boil
boil.JPG

I pitched the hopburst last night (well 27 litres of it)... OG was one over @ 1048, but we lost some 10 litres or so at some stage in the process (which hasnt happened before). We also forgot the whirfloc, which was quite evident when i took my OG sample while racking to the fermenter.. twas fairly opaque to say the least. Should all be good after some time in secondary...

We were also running late for dinner with friends staying at Cypress Lakes (and a superb roast it was too), which is shown perfectly by the outside boil in the black of early night.

was a good day...

ps. T.D, a photo of the 750g of hops in the kettle would have finished it nicely for the hopburst thread....

I was listening to Jamil's show on Imperial IPA's yesterday, and he said quite confidently that the higher alpha hops have more of the essential oils containing the aroma/flavour compounds. Not sure if he was blowing smoke, but I believed him at the time.

Did I really say that exactly? Then I must have not made myself clear or misspoke. I know John Palmer and I had a discussion about this working on the book. John told me that as the AA% of a given hop variety goes up or down, the essential oil percentage also goes up or down in a direct relationship to the AA. I didn't think that was exactly true, so we tried to get confirmation of this from several sources.

This DOES NOT mean that you can compare two different varieties of hops and say one will have more aromatic compounds just because the AA% is higher. I don't think I ever said anything like that. If I did, then I was clearly pissed. :D

I would say that many of today's high alpha hops are also very robust in aromatic compounds, but there are also quite a few high alpha hops that are restrained, such as Magnum or Horizon.

Well, that clears that up then? I was always under the impression that high oil content doesn't necessarily translate to high aroma, But then I had picked that up from growing herbs for cooking, wasn't sure if the same applied to hops.

Welcome to the forum Jamil. :)

However, I think generally the trend is for higher alpha to be correlated with higher oils.
This may be because the alpha and beta acids are contained inside the lupulin glands. If you cut open a low alpha hop you'll see there are fewer lupulin glands than in a high alpha one. Some high alpha hops look all yellow inside!
Oil is also in the lupulin glands, and unless the oil content of each gland is significantly lower (probably what happens in the few high alpha varieties that have low oil content), more glands will generally correlate with more oil.

Just my 2c.

MFS.

This week I brewed my first hopburst - it is now in the fermenter today with the yeast slurry from another brew - really looking forward to this one!
IMG_29441.jpgIMG_29451.jpg
Recipe:
25L End of Boil
SG 1050

Pale Malt 92%
Wheat Malt 5%
Dark Crystal 3%

At the last minute, I was given 100g of Moteuka flowers to use too, so I threw them in. I used 75g in the 10 min addition, and stuffed 25g in the cube too! They made it into the fermenter, throught i'd take a photo of the krausen full of hop flowers.. below :icon_cheers:

IMG_29481.jpgIMG_29491.jpg[attachment=4480
2:IMG_29521.jpg]

Hop Bill:
5g Pacific Gem flowers @ 60 min
36g Amarillo pellets @10 min
85g Cascade pellets @10 min
18g Styrian Goldings flowers @10 min
75g Motueka flowers @10 min
25g Motueka flowers cube hopped

the wort was GREEEENNNN and smelt great
IMG_29531.jpg

the flowers stole about a 500ml of my wort more than usual, so I was a tad short on the cube, but squeesed all the air out no probs. check out the hop ring on the side of the kettle!

IMG_29581.jpg

spent flowers on the lawn.. :icon_drool2:
IMG_29591.jpg

flowers from the cube all up in the krausen..
IMG_30021.jpg

so far so good...
(i'm a little worried as a few brews of mine have had an undesireable flavour that i cant pinpoint, but thats for another day)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_29521.jpg
    IMG_29521.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 71
This week I brewed my first hopburst - it is now in the fermenter today with the yeast slurry from another brew - really looking forward to this one!
View attachment 44798View attachment 44799
Recipe:
25L End of Boil
SG 1050

Pale Malt 92%
Wheat Malt 5%
Dark Crystal 3%

At the last minute, I was given 100g of Moteuka flowers to use too, so I threw them in. I used 75g in the 10 min addition, and stuffed 25g in the cube too! They made it into the fermenter, throught i'd take a photo of the krausen full of hop flowers.. below :icon_cheers:

View attachment 44800View attachment 44801[attachment=4480
2:IMG_29521.jpg]

Hop Bill:
5g Pacific Gem flowers @ 60 min
36g Amarillo pellets @10 min
85g Cascade pellets @10 min
18g Styrian Goldings flowers @10 min
75g Motueka flowers @10 min
25g Motueka flowers cube hopped

the wort was GREEEENNNN and smelt great
View attachment 44803

the flowers stole about a 500ml of my wort more than usual, so I was a tad short on the cube, but squeesed all the air out no probs. check out the hop ring on the side of the kettle!

View attachment 44804

spent flowers on the lawn.. :icon_drool2:
View attachment 44805

flowers from the cube all up in the krausen..
View attachment 44806

so far so good...
(i'm a little worried as a few brews of mine have had an undesireable flavour that i cant pinpoint, but thats for another day)

Cheers
That looks awesome mate!!

OT a bit... but where on earth are you brewing there? from the photos it looks like you are brewing on the floor of a micro.

My latest one involved FAR too many hops....

46L batch.

Grain

6kg JW Trad Ale
6kg JW Munich
1kg Carahell

Hop blend

New Cascade 70
Cenntennial 70
Chinook 70
Amarillo 70
Williamette 70
Simcoe 86
Goldings 30
Nelson Sauvin 70

That's 536grams of hops with 76 grams added every 5 minutes from 30min - flameout........Had some leftover after I filled two kegs so I made a blend keg with a Fat Yak clone I had....... :icon_drool2:

That looks awesome mate!!

OT a bit... but where on earth are you brewing there? from the photos it looks like you are brewing on the floor of a micro.

Yeah mate at the Woolshed Brewery in Renmark, South Australia. I've started to brew there for myself on days off - I had a family hollidaying from Germany come through during this one - so I had one of them helping dough in on the mash.. It's good - I can brew for myself, and show people through at the same time, give them a feel for how beer is made.
I was thinking.. aaah Germans... come to Renmark to see how beer is made!

hmmm forgot about this thread am planning a hopburst in the next few days have done the math today 140g of cascade and amarillo in last 20mins see how it goes. mind you its only 21lts and thats without dry hopping if I decide to :p

with that hop bill how do you know what contributed to what flavour components
it would appear from reading that you blend all of the hop then weigh in 70 gram lots and add @ 5 min intervals
is this correct

with that hop bill how do you know what contributed to what flavour components
it would appear from reading that you blend all of the hop then weigh in 70 gram lots and add @ 5 min intervals
is this correct
Lightning-hop additions are always done at flameout.

Back