Hopburst

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross the original Hopburst idea is to hop rather heavily from 30 minutes down at every 5 minute interval.I notice you have missed a few additions which is off mark from cj,s original hopburst idea.No doubt still tastes great but thought i would let you know.

Cheers
Big D

yeah, i know it's not a true hopburst, but on a similar track & inspired by Jye's hopburst, which is probably the nicest apa I've drunk, so seemed an apt thread to tag it to...

Cheers Ross

Hi, would you people with hopburst experience think it would go OK in a pale ale with a low starting gravity of around 1.045? Or does the style require the backing of malt? Was thinking of only bittering to around 30 IBU.

Cheers.

i'm no expert Underback.
but i think the idea behind the process is to use a known 'mix' of hops added each (say five minutes)... from 30 minutes or so to flame out.
i cant see why you couldnt use the idea with a beer having that OG. ive brewed an APA at 1.048 before at close to 1:1 (46 IBU's) it was nice.

get some chewy malt into the grist to help out maybe..?
dark crystal.. munich....

I agree with KoNG, I think that would work nicely. Any time I have ever done something like a hopburst thing, it has always ended up with a more integrated hoppiness. Hard to describe, but just seemed more balanced. I don't think there are any real restrictions on gravity etc, just go for it!

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a bash. Not a real hop head, so I just want to keep it around a BU:GU ratio of 0.7. I was thinking of 95% ale malt and 5% Carahell with a mash temp of 68*C to keep some body there so it doesn't finish too dry. Also will use around 3 grams of Magnesium Suphate and around 8 grams of Calcium Sulphate for water mods. Might also go for an English style ale yeast instead of a US.

Really appreciate the replies.

Cheers

Whack some Crystal, Munich or Caramunich in there too - you know you want to! With a hoppy style it helps to have a bit more of a malt backbone.

Yeah, I am really starting to see the benefits of getting some variety in the grain and hop bills. I recently brewed a beer I named "mongrel ale" which was basically a bunch of different grains from all different points in the EBC spectrum, and a bunch of different hop varieties (mostly American though). It wasn't a hopburst but is kind of the same principle (sort of, minus the "every 5 minutes" part). The result was a very complex, but also very balanced beer. I am really enjoying it.

Hi, would you people with hopburst experience think it would go OK in a pale ale with a low starting gravity of around 1.045? Or does the style require the backing of malt? Was thinking of only bittering to around 30 IBU.

Cheers.
I remember reading some people who HopBursted an English Mild and a Porter, and both came out fantastic. I usually make my Pale Ales at around 1.050, and that works well, HopBursted or not. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

I just finished my 3rd pint of a HopBursted Pale Ale -- Amarillo, Centennial, Vanguard and Willamette blend. Quite mild on the bitterness, but nice on the flavor/aroma. I'm almost out -- I have to get some more of those going!

Did a Hopburst Amber Ale for the WA Xmas Case.
Dunno if it's really a Hopburst, just kinda made it up as I went along.
Additions were every 10 mins not 5.
Couldn't decide what hops to use, so just threw in a little of everything I had left!!
Not tasted yet, bottled on the 15th dec.
Should be interesting, or crap, dunno.

Batch size: 21L
Base: 3.5kg JW Trad Ale. 86.5%
+ 300g Melanoiden 7.5%
+ 200g JW Dark Crystal 5%
+ 50g JW Wheat Malt 1%

18g each of: Amarillo, Cascade, US Tettnang, Willamette, very old NZ Hallertauer and EK Goldings.

Additions:
36g Mix @ 30min
30g Mix @ 20min
24g Mix @ 10min
18g Mix @ 5min after flame-out(approx 90deg)

Estimated 34 IBU's with equal split of hops for each addition, but true IBU dependent on what comes out of the mixed bag for each addition. I don't think it would be far off the estimate tho.
Measured OG: 1053@19L(end of boil), Diluted to 21L = 1048.
Measured FG: 1010
Yeast: WY1332 Northwest US.

I went a bit soft on the aroma hopping, total hops was only 108g for 21L, shoulda used alot more all-round, maybe 30g of each for the same target IBU so more aroma hopping.
Theres always next time.

Edit: BTW, the smells coming out the fermenter were awesome! Changed daily. Started off kinda white-wine-ish, then bubble-gum-ish, then sweet+spicy. Either that or I gotta go see a doctor about my nose.

Dragged this up for some research after reading the Brew board thread as well.

Planning to do do a Hopburst ( a couple of brews down the track)with 5 varieties.

Target
Challenger
Fuggle
Willamette
Cascade

grist is to be decided but will be IPA'ish in that it will have some light munich and a small %age of crystal.

Anyone else got one planned or done one lately?

Hopbursters.....
is everyone making up a "hop-mix" for their additions in a typical hopburst... or are some making the individual hop variety additions? and if so would it made any difference.? T.D and i are brewing a BIG batch of hopburst on the weekend and i was wondering if the hop-mix makes any difference except for time savings... i.e is their random IBU differences.?

out
KoNG

The first couple I just did the mix but then changed to measuring out every addition so that the recipes would be more repeatable.

I started out measuring the additions separately but then started mixing them up so the recipes would be more individual. :lol:

KoNG, I reckon we measure them out don't you reckon? Its shouldn't be a drama - 50g of each in every addition. Bit different when doing a 20L batch and you've got a million additions of 7g!! :lol:

Should be good - 150L with 750g of Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo! Will smell AWESOME!! :D :D

I have a hopburst fermenting right now, bottling it tomorrow probably.

3kg light dried malt
500g wheat malt
500g dextrose
200g light crystal (60ebc)

hopburst mix of:
50g amarillo
50g cascade
50g golden cluster

also used a whirlfloc due to the amount of hop trub

made up to 24L and fermented with US-05

I started out measuring the additions separately but then started mixing them up so the recipes would be more individual. :lol:

<_< :D

Should be good - 150L with 750g of Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo! Will smell AWESOME!!

Awesome mix :beerbang: I always use simcoe/amarillo and mix up the 3rd hop. The most recent has columbus and is fantastic.

first mix used 58g each of Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial and the aroma is gorgeous.
Hopburst APA
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/03/2006
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Jye
Boil Size: 37.64 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: SK Brew Hous
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 79.4 %
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3.2 %

36 gm Hopburst Mix (Mash hop)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (25 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (20 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (15 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (10 min)
36 gm Hopburst Mix (5 min)
30 gm Hopburst Mix (Dry Hop)

1.00 tsp Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale American US-56 Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 45.0 IBU Calories: 528 cal/l
Est Color: 8.7 SRM Color: Color
Since this topic isnt listed as AG Im going to throw in a KK/extract/partial question into the mix. Love the sound of Hopburst and been reading up on it on the site. But as im not AGing yet I was wondering what sort of kk/extract/partial bill would be suitable instead of AG?

Going by Jye's bill above it looks like a light PA (obviously its a PA by definition). So im wondering if I just use a PA kit/malt and do a standard mini-mash (steep/boil) of the reminaing grain listed? Recon this would work out, or should I go a pils kit/malt instead? or something completely differant? I have a 7L pot so its just big enough to do a mini-mash. I can borrow a ss 40L pot if needed.

The first couple I just did the mix but then changed to measuring out every addition so that the recipes would be more repeatable.

Jye.. that was my thinking.!
we are using simcoe and cascade (and amarillo) with quite differing AA's, so if at the 30 or 20 minute addition you somehow got a much greater amount (%) of simcoe (from a hop-mix) and then this randomly didnt even out until your zero minute addition... i guess there could be quite a difference in expected IBU's.!?!?

KoNG, I reckon we measure them out don't you reckon? Its shouldn't be a drama - 50g of each in every addition. Bit different when doing a 20L batch and you've got a million additions of 7g!! :lol:

Should be good - 150L with 750g of Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo! Will smell AWESOME!! :D :D

Agreed.... you weigh out all the hop additions, while i practice my golf swing with the mash paddle...! :D

edit: spelling

Since this topic isnt listed as AG Im going to throw in a KK/extract/partial question into the mix. Love the sound of Hopburst and been reading up on it on the site. But as im not AGing yet I was wondering what sort of kk/extract/partial bill would be suitable instead of AG?

Going by Jye's bill above it looks like a light PA (obviously its a PA by definition). So im wondering if I just use a PA kit/malt and do a standard mini-mash (steep/boil) of the reminaing grain listed? Recon this would work out, or should I go a pils kit/malt instead? or something completely differant? I have a 7L pot so its just big enough to do a mini-mash. I can borrow a ss 40L pot if needed.

Basically you need something to get the hops into, just like any extract/KK brew where you want to boil them.

So you could simply follow Jye's recipe as you've said and substitute a kit or extract for the base grains, the pale and the munich, and steep the others then use the run off from that as your wort for boiling and add the kit/extract towards the end. Light extract plus the specialty grains listed there would work better than a pils kit in my book. If you want a kit then go for a pale ale one for a little more background for the hops.

For utilisation I would definitely suggest adding some of your kit/extract earlier in the boil but not much if you are going the 7L option.

I'd consider hassling Frogman for some info as he makes a mean KK APA...

citymorgue2 that grain bill is ridiculous <_< I must have been drunk at the time :D

Stick with a light extract and a few hundred grams of crystal steeped. Hopbursting is all about the hops and a over the top grain bill isnt needed.

Back