Hopburst American Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hi all,

Putting down a hopburst american IPA shortly, and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for my recipe.

reckon ill go with the following:

3kg light dried malt
500g dextrose
500g wheat dried malt
200g crystal malt

(might change my mind at the last minute and just go with 4kg light malt and 500g of wheat, but i dont want it too sweet)

hopburst mix of:
50g cascade (4.5aau)
50g amarillo (8.5aau)
50g golden cluster (8aau)

us-05 yeast.

I know golden cluster is a bit out of style, but my lhbs only has a limited amount of hops. check here for the list: http://www.thbs.intas.net/brew_additives.htm#Hops
I've done an apa with a cascade/cluster combo for flavour and aroma before and it worked pretty well.

I also have the following hops in my freezer if anybody thinks that they would be suitable:
25g ekg
50g saaz
50g hallertau
100g POR

cheers.

hops should be fine. if you've done cascade and cluster with good results, amarillo should only make it better (if you like amarillo of course), they do fit the apa style well so thats another thing in their favour.

not sure if any of those other hops would work. some people really like por (im not one of them) so maybe some of that. but the three you have listed sound good.

i use por for bittering, nothing else. just nice and cheep, and if you keep below 20ibu's with it, it tastes fine (imo)

love the amarillo flavour (like cascade more, but i still think its great).

thought saaz might possibly work, so was hoping for some people who have had experience using it in a mix like that before, but, for the moment unless somebody can convince me otherwise, i think that list is pretty spot on for a good result.

I think drinking Nail Ale last week was the first time I've enjoyed POR.

I brewed a Hopburst IPA tonight, and used every hop I had. Do what you wanna do, brew what you wanna brew... yeah.

I know golden cluster is a bit out of style, but my lhbs only has a limited amount of hops. check here for the list: http://www.thbs.intas.net/brew_additives.htm#Hops
cheers.

Check out one of the AHB sponsors. Massive Hops range at great prices. I received my order last week in 2 days. just in time for weekend brewing.

I cant really add anything in regards to your hop bill. other than it sounds great to me. IMO the hops your using are a distinctive sort of taste but the other hops you have in the freezer I would have thought would go better with a differant style/wouldnt match your current hop bill. my 1c worth (cause it prob isnt worth 2c!)

You could also try chinook hops- high alpha and lots of aroma. I just used them in my last IPA, but it is still fermenting, so I have not tasted the final result yet. Tasted good in the wort though.

citymorgue2:

thats what i thought regarding the hops in the freezer as well, save them for a lager or something.

I like to support my LHBS, as they give me good service, and dont get a whole lot of business these days, especially regarding hops and that. pretty much all of their business is via kits, so if nobody buys their hops, then they will get less and less in.

hoppydog:

Cant get chinook from my LHBS, otherwise it would be my third hop without a doubt (replace cluster). I reckon i will order some from craftbrewer soon though, as i want to try out the new dried wheat yeast (wb2 iirc?) for my next brew.

thanks for the comments so far guys :D

Back