Hop Utilization At 96c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mason

Reaction score
Well my crown urn craped it self today just before a 300g 10 min hop addition for a 10 min IPA.
By the time I worked out what had happened the temp had dropped to 96c. I threw the hops in
anyway and hoped for the best. So my question is, how much is hop utilization and isomerization
affected by a temp drop like this.

Cheers

Well my crown urn craped it self today just before a 300g 10 min hop addition for a 10 min IPA.
By the time I worked out what had happened the temp had dropped to 96c. I threw the hops in
anyway and hoped for the best. So my question is, how much is hop utilization and isomerization
affected by a temp drop like this.

Cheers

For a 10min addition I would not be too worried, probably end up one of the best beers you have ever made

QldKev

Did you chill the wort? If no-chilled straight away, the theory is that naturally cooling wort will give a 10-15min addition. As for the utilization, im not sure, i've tried looking before for info on tempreture and hops utilization and couldn't find anything.

Yes I did chill Acasta. I was just thinking the same thing QldKev, only no way to repeat it if it is that good. And just to clarify this was the only hop addition of the brew. The wort tastes very bitter and the hops are definately there so we'll see. Would be nice to know if there's a sliding scale on the utilization at different temps. Might help those that no chill.

Latest posts

Back