Hop Usage With No Chill Method.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onescooter

Reaction score
Do hops added at flame out turn more into a bittering hop if the wort is placed in no chill cube.
I just figured that even though they are not getting boiled, that are staying quite hot for some time.
If so, how do you use them in beersmith. Where it asks you the boil time, what do you write down.
Cheers
Scott.

Do hops added at flame out turn more into a bittering hop if the wort is placed in no chill cube.
I just figured that even though they are not getting boiled, that are staying quite hot for some time.
If so, how do you use them in beersmith. Where it asks you the boil time, what do you write down.
Cheers
Scott.

Not if you remove the hops first - But if you are adding to the cube, then you will get a certain amount of bittering - How you calculate this, I don't know. I'd be cooling a bit first if adding hops to the cube.

cheers Ross

Hi Scott,
I am an NCer and have to say that I have noticed no problems at all with flame out additions or beers being overbittered. Don't worry about trying to compensate NC with Beersmith, just follow the recipe and all will be well.

Boil time 0min

cheers

Browndog

Removing the hops sounds like the easist solution. Might have to get a hopsock of you next time Ross.

Hi Scott,
I am an NCer and have to say that I have noticed no problems at all with flame out additions or beers being overbittered. Don't worry about trying to compensate NC with Beersmith, just follow the recipe and all will be well.

Boil time 0min

cheers

Browndog

That's it in one,I NC and also have noticed no difference in hop bitterness.

I whirlpool and sit for 20mins,this is for chill or no chill,then it's into a cube or through the chiller.
In the end the wort would be in contact with the hops for the same amount of time,so really any hop additions should not vary in flavor/bitterness.

Batz

Scott,

I have tried the flameout/hopback/add hops to cube method with no chill. IMO don't bother. Spec your receipe as normal even if it includes flame out additions, just let them steep before transfer to the cube. After transfer to the keg or secondary, I find dry hopping then is the best for aroma.

Cheers.

Back