Hop Thief 8

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT but what ever happened to the Mad Brewers beers? That was JS I think wasnt it?

I finally got my hands on an 8 tonight. Gotta say I much preferred the 7 because it had a malt sweetness that balanced the hops well and it had a hue that distinguished it from every other pale beer on tap. The 8 has some interesting bitterness from the crystal hops but I have to put my mind into hop-head mode over a few swigs to forget about the missing malt profile.

This said, I didn't much like the 7 when it replaced the 6 so maybe the 8 will grow on me with time?

Interesting hop choices "crystal" and "cascade". For an entry level craft beer the names are sure to confuse the heck out of some of us.

Got it tonight too. For comparison example reasons to home brew etc.
I like this better than 7. Ha. Maybe its just my palate for now.
Nah. I think its better than the 7. Cascade I'm familiar with.
I've never used Crystal before hmmm...

I got one today as well - mainly because Dan's has it for the right price this week. Not overwhelmed nor underwhelmed - for the price I've got to say this is pretty good buying if you can't be arsed to brew or even pick up a decent Fresh Wort Kit and wait X number of weeks to be able to drink it. Would buy again but only around this price point.

Good point LAGERFRENZY.
I pay high prices to buy a (shelf product) of craft beer that would come secondary to home brew on tap or bottled.

I got a carton of this the other week, not a fan really to be honest. Maybe it was just a shit carton or something but it just tastes weird to me. Much preferred HT7.

bought a sixpack on special at dans and i really dont think i will bother drinking the remaining 5. its just the usual boring malt base of all their other beers with no trace of hops having been anywhere near the beer at any time during brewing.

BEERHOG said:
no trace of hops having been anywhere near the beer at any time
Really? Like Malt liquor then?
No bitterness?

Yup my second one today did not go down smoothly. There is a cloying sweetish aftertaste - not sure if it is the Crystal hop as I have never brewed with it but it really throws the whole balance of the thing right out of whack.

LAGERFRENZY said:
There is a cloying sweetish aftertaste - not sure if it is the Crystal hop as I have never brewed with it but it really throws the whole balance of the thing right out of whack.
I think I know what you're talking about and also wonder if it's the Crystal hops. Their descriptions include earthy, woody, green, spicy, floral and fruit notes. Could it be those fruit notes?

Overall "green" is how I would describe this beer so it's interesting to see it come up in the hop profile. To me it's a bit like a weak hop tea and I think that's the dry hopped Crystal hard at work. Still that's just my palate, I think I'm a bit sensitive to some hop characteristics and need to harden up. :lol:

Nah that flavour? Is the signature flavour of commercial craft beer. I don't know what it is but the best way I can describe it is when I tasted my first Fat Yak. It tasted like it has some kind of concentrate mixture thrown in or something. Maybe hop extract? Anyway I taste it in commercial craft beers but I don't get it in my home brews. I like that I don't get it in my home brew. Whatever it is.

Its almost as if they are trying to brew a half beer, half alcopop - maybe they are trying to get the kiddies who don't like that yucky bitter beer flavour?

Apparently they have now released #9. Bittering up to 40 IBU. Have not seen it yet down here in the sticks...

Wes

LAGERFRENZY said:
Yup my second one today did not go down smoothly. There is a cloying sweetish aftertaste - not sure if it is the Crystal hop as I have never brewed with it but it really throws the whole balance of the thing right out of whack.
Yep. Feels like the same base recipe without the late hopped flavour saturation of 7.

Check out www.beerhealer.com tomorrow for my video interview with Chris Sheehan, Head Brewer at Malt Shovel. We are talking all things beer, including a bit of a chat about the changes they have made for HT8, and why!

chrisluki said:
Check out www.beerhealer.com tomorrow for my video interview with Chris Sheehan, Head Brewer at Malt Shovel.
Awesome, I'm looking forward to this. Still nothing on Facebook yet so please post here when it's up Chris!

Back