Hop Thief 8

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Crystal are the hops used in Corona. I've never tried them, but I've certainly tried (and love) cluster. Might have to give this a whirl.

TheWiggman said:
I believe Crystal are the hops used in Corona..
They use hops in Corona?![emoji185]

In all seriousness, I assumed it was an hops extract they used to avoid skunking given they also use clear bottles.
And the fact I've not really tasted any hops from a corona. Though I'm happy to say it's been many years since I had one.
Happy to be corrected.

Corona uses Galena, in extract form. There's an episode of Megafactories devoted to Corona, and it shows them pouring in the sticky goop into some vessel.
I once did a Corona clone for a rellie, turned out great but I think I may have overhopped the Galena a tad - I went berserk and used 11 grams.

Bribie G said:
Corona uses Galena, in extract form. There's an episode of Megafactories devoted to Corona, and it shows them pouring in the sticky goop into some vessel.
I once did a Corona clone for a rellie, turned out great but I think I may have overhopped the Galena a tad - I went berserk and used 11 grams.
Watch it... Dangerously close to taste threshold there :)

I do enjoy the odd Corona now and then, it's a time/place thing. Unfortunately also way OT for this thread.

A mate of mine brought a sixer of these over and gave me a try and I have to say it's pretty decent.

I thought it was magnum bringing the flavour to SN Torpedo but I now realise it's the crystal hops that I love, beautiful hop !!

Grabbed a case of this the other day. Not a bad drop. Not as good as 7 IMO, but pretty decent for $60

I enjoyed 6 when it first hit the shelves but then it seem to taste different after it was out for a bit.
7 did nothing for me
8 also did nothing.
Maybe my taste buds are off but I find they could pack a little more punch

I am trying 8 tonight.

& wasn't much chop for me. I really liked 6. But I think 8 is good too.

I mean the hop combinations are good, but I think they could use more flavour and aroma additions in 6 and 8 to make them really really good.

Dans as sixers of this for $12.
**** it! So I tried my 1st Hop Thief.....wasn't really good. Had soapy mouth feel, defs not from the wheat.

Drinkable but a bit too sweet for me. Just like 7, 6...

According to the recipe in BYO, which had input from the SN brewers Torpedo
Bittering - Magnum at 60 minutes
Taste - Magnum & Crystal at 5 minutes (28g each)
Dry Hop - Magnum, Crystal & Citra Dry Hoped (19g each)
All for a 5US Gal ~20L batch

The hops in Corona are as far as I know all extract, probably pre-isomerised and UV stabilised (see Tetra, Hexa, Hydro) so what they are made from is totally irrelevant, these extracts have no varietal character - just bitterness. So I suspect the hop are very carefully selected on price.
Topaz - the Australian variety - holds the world record for kg of Alpha/ Hectare, it was developed as an Extract producing variety, personally I quite like it as both a bittering and late hop.
Mark

Grabbed a case of this the other day. Not a bad drop. Not as good as 7 IMO, but pretty decent for $60
I'm with you on this one. 7 was the first in the series that I had, but I've since had the 8 and didn't like it as much.

What ever happened to hop thief 2,3 and 4?

I'm getting batch variations in Hop Thief 8. Bought a case a month ago and it was nice but lacked a late hop character. Bought more last night and there is a distinct dry hop character. I like the firmer bitterness in this version. At $12 for a 6 pack this month at Dan's it's a nice drop.

I'm getting batch variations in Hop Thief 8. Bought a case a month ago and it was nice but lacked a late hop character. Bought more last night and there is a distinct dry hop character. I like the firmer bitterness in this version. At $12 for a 6 pack this month at Dan's it's a nice drop.
I actually found that with the last carton of the 7 I bought. The first dozen or so had a very crisp bitterness with minimal dry hop character (maybe a bit on the nose), but the last 6 or so had a distinct dry hopped grassiness to them.

Went hunting the Hop Thief 8, as I wanted to add the recipe to BrewBuilder. They didn't have it.

The local only had the 7. So I put that recipe up on Brewbuilder as well as Hop Thief 6.

As soon as I get a 8 I'll put it up too.

Cheers Steve

Latest posts

Back