Hop Thief 8

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Hey brewman.

Id like to comment on the recipe regarding the hops. 38ibu from the bittering charge is way off. I've had that beer a few times now and definitely not a strong bittering edge like that.

It's more like 50% at 60mins and the rest late.
Hey Pratty,

So your saying you think the 38 IBU's is right, but half from the 60 minute addition and half from the late hops?

rude said:
Have seen some crew using munich 2 for there APAs which looks interesting

cheers Rocker for the pickup
No worries mate.

Yeah I use Munich II in my APAs at about 10% usually, and medium crystal at around 5%. MO makes up the 85%, and that's all I use. They always turn out bloody nice too.

Brewman_ said:
Hey Pratty,

So your saying you think the 38 IBU's is right, but half from the 60 minute addition and half from the late hops?
Hey brewman,

38 is high. Id go more towards the low 30's at 32ibu and start with 16ibu at 60mins and 16ibu at 10mins.

The abv and malt do balance the hops and its not as solid hop wise as HT6. With cascade and crystal low alpha they would be using something else for bittering and Id suggest ISO extract over POR but a good starting bittering hop for Aussie made, POR or even Topaz could be what they use.

Pratty1 said:
Hey brewman,

38 is high. Id go more towards the low 30's at 32ibu and start with 16ibu at 60mins and 16ibu at 10mins.

The abv and malt do balance the hops and its not as solid hop wise as HT6. With cascade and crystal low alpha they would be using something else for bittering and Id suggest ISO extract over POR but a good starting bittering hop for Aussie made, POR or even Topaz could be what they use.
Hey Pratty,
I think that might give more hop flavour than what I was getting in my sample, but I get where your coming from.

Might have to make it this weekend.

Cheers for the comments. Will keep it in mind for V2.

Cheers Steve

FWIW, HTA 4 & 5 were "around 35 IBUs" and 35 IBUs respectively - words of Tony Jones (... the MSB head brewer, not the TV dude)

But i'd say that's a "smooth" bitterness - so maybe the equivalent of 30-33 IBUs of something a bit sharper, like POR. Or maybe the malts smoothed it out intrinsically anyway.

Also fwiw, i believe they used Super Alpha for bittering in HTA 7 (courtesy of shacked, word from the brewers at MSB).
(They used 5 hops in that one, but only mentioned the ones they dry hopped with (Galaxy & Mosaic) - the others were Super Alpha in the boil, plus Cascade & Simcoe in whirlpool.)

technobabble66 said:
FWIW, HTA 4 & 5 were "around 35 IBUs" and 35 IBUs respectively - words of Tony Jones (... the MSB head brewer, not the TV dude) But i'd say that's a "smooth" bitterness - so maybe the equivalent of 30-33 IBUs of something a bit sharper, like POR. Or maybe the malts smoothed it out intrinsically anyway. Also fwiw, i believe they used Super Alpha for bittering in HTA 7 (courtesy of shacked, word from the brewers at MSB). (They used 5 hops in that one, but only mentioned the ones they dry hopped with (Galaxy & Mosaic) - the others were Super Alpha in the boil, plus Cascade & Simcoe in whirlpool.)
Yup, that's correct. That's what both Chuck Hahn and one of their brewers told me about HT7.

FWIW, my HT7 clone (version 3) was about 30 IBU (according to brewmate) and seemed a little light on. For my 4th attempt I went 40 IBU as follows:

20IBU from FWH
10IBU from whirlpool
10IB from cube.

I do a 20 min whirlpool.

I think the 8 is less bitter than 7. 30 to 35 seems about right.

Latest posts

Back