Hop Strainer Ball

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
Heres something that i made up to keep hop flowers from clogging kettle pickup tube during draining to fermentor.It works a treat.Two 25cm stainless strainers ($12 each) with handles cut off ,wired together,and a hole cut in the top of one for hop additions. I have a 80l kettle and with the strainer ball sitting on the bottom of kettle,the opening sits above boil line for single batches,and i drop hops into it as i go.when i do bigger batches i have a stainless flap thta covers the opening and i raise/immerse the strainerball with a bit of stainless wire when i need to . The joys of bargain stores and chinese imports!

rsz_photo0182.jpg

rsz_photo0183.jpg

Nice one. Take some pics of your next single batch. I want to see how it works.
Cheers
Steve

i use half of one of these on my mash tun, no chaff to the boiler.

This is exactly what I needed to see this evening. I had my first go at Whole hops this afternoon. DISASTER. Not only did they not whirlpool at all it is also impossible to siphon with them. Giant strainer here we come :)

I use 100 min hop flowers in a brew... and usually added late. Sometimes up to 300 or 400g in a hoppy beer.

Great looking invention! I recon it would work fantastic!

But im thinking of making a SS mesh basket the size of my kettle, so i can left em out to drain.

Gee 300g of flowers can hold up some beer

Well done!

I use 100 min hop flowers in a brew... and usually added late. Sometimes up to 300 or 400g in a hoppy beer.

Great looking invention! I recon it would work fantastic!

But im thinking of making a SS mesh basket the size of my kettle, so i can left em out to drain.

Gee 300g of flowers can hold up some beer

Well done!
+1 great looking gadget. Looks like a hop bomb.

I like the mesh basket idea, sounds like a Deep Fat Fryer Basket...for hops.

here's one getting used for roasting chestnuts
IMG_4951.JPG

That is awesome could have used one on tuesday night.
Nice work.

Back