Hop storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
I apologise in advance if this has already been covered, as far as flushing hops goes I know people use N2 or CO2 but is it possible to use Ar?

I have a vacuum sealer so that is how I store most of my hops but I also have half a dozen or so glass swing top preserving jars that live in the freezer with either pellets or hops in them.

I have an Argon cylinder in the garage so it would be ideal if that could be used, my google-fu skills have so far turned up nada.

It can be used, but Argon is quite susceptible to molecular diffusion, meaning that any eddy currents when purging headspace can be problematic.

Being a noble gas it won't have any adverse reactions with the hops, but it also costs a lot more than CO2 or N2.

Currently my G-size Argon cylinder in the garage is costing me ~250 per year, PLUS gas costs!

I own the bottle outright but I see your point, I may just be better off purchasing a small CO2 cylinder that can live in the equipment cupboard... With the relatively small amounts used (I'm surmising) it would probably go a long way.

Is there anywhere to purchase N2 bottles or is renting from boc the only option?

takai said:
Currently my G-size Argon cylinder in the garage is costing me ~250 per year, PLUS gas costs!
Ha! My D size rental costs a little bit less but probably only gets used once in a blue moon. Hmmm. Maybe I should build a 316 SS brew frame to justify rental costs? I'll tell swmbo its costing us money NOT to build it.

Judanero, where did you buy yours outright? I saw small ones on ebay that would suit my needs and don't want to go the disposable bottle route.

Cheers Judanero, they're the ones I'm thinking of. No problems getting them refilled?

Sorry for OT.

Refilling argon can be a PITA. I havent found many places that do refills, as they all want you to rent the sodding things.

Camo6 said:
Cheers Judanero, they're the ones I'm thinking of. No problems getting them refilled?

Sorry for OT.
I'm not sure mate I haven't had to have mine refilled yet, there's a couple refill points though-I think capital cities and about $70 a refill.

Latest posts

Back