Hop Screen In Electric Urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd probably need to replace the normal tap so there is something on the inside of the urn to connect it to, but that's not a bad thing.

You'd probably need to replace the normal tap so there is something on the inside of the urn to connect it to, but that's not a bad thing.

Thanks Wolfy,

When I get the urn (it's ordered but hasn't arrived yet) I'll try to replace tap with a s/s ball valve.

Thanks Wolfy,

When I get the urn (it's ordered but hasn't arrived yet) I'll try to replace tap with a s/s ball valve.

Careful not to bend the metal of the wall when you are doing it, I think they put the taps in with a rattle gun or something, but best to do it when the urn is brand new.

Careful not to bend the metal of the wall when you are doing it, I think they put the taps in with a rattle gun or something, but best to do it when the urn is brand new.

Thanks Bribie,

Do most Urn brewers replace the tap or make do with the original? It seems that, because of its shape, it would be difficult to securely attach some silicon hose?

I have a BB hopscreen in my urn. It has a 1/2" BSP thread on the back of the tap (not much, but enough to attach a pickup tube with a nut and olive). I use the original tap and just use 19mm hose over the outside. As soon as the hot liquid hits it it get soft then jam it on more and it stays there fine. My urn is a Roband 30L but the tap looks pretty "standard" to me.

The other option is to tap a thread in the outlet of the tap then use an adapter to get a standard hosetail on it for the output side. I will probably do this at some point.

I've just used the native urn tap with my Birko and just dropped the wort into the cube, never worried about HSA. However I got some thin walled silicone tube from Ross and when I get my Crown Urn up and running again I'll squeeze that on and see if it makes a difference. Crown tap has a narrower spout than the Birko.

Latest posts

Back