Hop Schedule For Small Volume Boil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakethesnake559

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hop HELP!! :blink:

I am doing an all Amarillo APA on the stovetop this weekend.
Due to my crappy electric stove, I find I can only manage around 10L for the boil.
But I want to top it up to a 20L batch in the fermenter.

For the fermentables i am using 3kg Light DME, and steaping the following...
300g Chrystal Malt
80g Wheat Malt
20g Roast Malt

But I'm not sure about the Amarillo qty when it's only going into 10L :unsure: ???
What wort volume do I use in the online hop calculators (boil or final wort?).
Was thinking 20g (60min), 10g (30min), 5g (15min) then maybe 20g for dry hopping.

Would really appreciate any advice...or tips on the recipe (it's based on Riggers APA from G&G).

Cheers!! Jake.

10 ltrs is OK for the boil, it's more about the SG of the pre boil wort. Needs to be about 1.040 to get the benefit from the hops. Just put your steeped liquid from the grains ( steeped for about 30 mins in A couple of ltrs of water at 66 ish deg C) in to your pot then add some DME and check the SG until your are at about 1.040 or above. Then boil with your additions, cool in the sink and to your fermenter, make up with cold water to 20 lrs and when at about 18 or so deg C, pitch your yeast. When I do extract brewing I normally do a 6ltr boil. But as above it's not the volume it' more about the SG to isomerise the hops. Hope this helps?

Hey everyone,

Hop HELP!! :blink:

I am doing an all Amarillo APA on the stovetop this weekend.
Due to my crappy electric stove, I find I can only manage around 10L for the boil.
But I want to top it up to a 20L batch in the fermenter.

For the fermentables i am using 3kg Light DME, and steaping the following...
300g Chrystal Malt
80g Wheat Malt
20g Roast Malt

But I'm not sure about the Amarillo qty when it's only going into 10L :unsure: ???
What wort volume do I use in the online hop calculators (boil or final wort?).
Was thinking 20g (60min), 10g (30min), 5g (15min) then maybe 20g for dry hopping.

Would really appreciate any advice...or tips on the recipe (it's based on Riggers APA from G&G).

Cheers!! Jake.

I would imagine if you final volume is 20L you would want to base your hop qty on that volume.

In 10L you may get slightly poorer hop utilisation, so may wish to increase the qty a fraction. Those more experienced than I, can confirm.

Think about it, if you put some cordial in a glass and fill with water, then tip the contents into a bigger glass and add more water, then the cordial mix will be weaker.
I imagine that the same principle would apply with hop bitterness etc.

Thanks for the advice Shifter & Diesel...will bump up the hops and see how it goes.
Cheers :icon_cheers:

Back