Hop Question - Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliasp

Reaction score
I really love Knappstein Clare Valley Lager, i notice they say they use Sauvin hops, which im assuming are the same as Nelson Sauvin i have seen on some websites.

Has anyone used these hops before in any brews? If so what were they like? i am a big fan of American Pale Ales, and was thinking of using the Sauvin Hop as it does have a real good citrus / floral flavour to it. I am also going to use 1272 American Ale 2 yeast for the first time, previously it has been with

On that subject, would Sauvin be a good one to blend with perhaps a Cascade or Amarillo, or another type?

Your thoughts are apprieciated, im still on the early days of my home brew career, but really loving it!

Nels Sav's a great hop imo. I dont use it enough tho.

Dont know about how it would go with Amarillo, but it should gel nicely with cascade and even better with galaxy i reckon.

have a look in the recipe DB for Ross's Nelson Sauvin recipe, its a cracker and really lets this hop shine.

Yup - i answered but then moved it to the other thread...

We could start a contrary thread...

Mate Don't trust the Kiwi's - it'll make your brew taste of soot.

It goes very well with galaxy and cascade. I have a great recipe in the db. I could see it working with amarillo but I wouldnt try it.

I think Nelson needs something else along with it as it can be quite cloying but also quite wicked bitterness! used carefully its a cracker of a hop. As Fents said it goes perfectly with galaxy.

FYI.... On the front of the board a member called Stuster has set up a fantastic resource called Flavour of the week he gives a run down of alot of styles of beer and the hop of the week....

Katie

+ big1 for the nelson/galaxy combo.
It's a bloody strange hop either on it's own or used generously, it seems to have flavours and bitterness that sit way outside the hop 'square'
I'm doing a side by side kolsh ATM (Wyeast 1007) with a touch of Nelson. One at 20C and one at 13C(pseudo lager).
It's either gonna compliment the fruity Kolshy one really well, or bugger it badly I reckon..

It goes very well with galaxy and cascade. I have a great recipe in the db. I could see it working with amarillo but I wouldnt try it.

I think Nelson needs something else along with it as it can be quite cloying but also quite wicked bitterness! used carefully its a cracker of a hop. As Fents said it goes perfectly with galaxy.

FYI.... On the front of the board a member called Stuster has set up a fantastic resource called Flavour of the week he gives a run down of alot of styles of beer and the hop of the week....

Katie
It's funny I brewed a Pale Ale with Nelson and Galaxy recently and it seemed like they kind of cancelled each other out, still fruity and hoppy but not what I expected from this combo. Anyone else had this?

We have brewed with galaxy and nelson separately and together on numerous occasions.

I personally like the together, I think they compliment each other well I wouldn't call it cancelling out I guess it depends on how you use it.

It's funny I brewed a Pale Ale with Nelson and Galaxy recently and it seemed like they kind of cancelled each other out, still fruity and hoppy but not what I expected from this combo. Anyone else had this?

What sort of IBU count was it Luka?
I found it filled in the 'gaps' in combo, which may be the same thing I suppose?

Dont know about how it would go with Amarillo, but it should gel nicely with cascade...

I'll let you know... ;)

IMAG0259.jpg

Brewed a Smurtos Golden Ale with Nelson and Amarillo. Only used a tiny bit of Amarillo (15g) and bittered and late hop/flameout was NS. Was full-on for the first month, then with cellaring it got heaps better. Now it is perfect drinking and everyone I've handed it to loves it - but that's 5 months in the cellar!

I suggest Nelson Sauvin with Cascade will give you the best result. The Nelson Hop imparts a bit of spiciness to it when fresh, so clashed with the amarillo when first in the bottle I found. The citrus/pine of Cascade would work heaps better. If you want to know what it tastes like, grab a Fat Yak - they use Nelson Sauvin and late hop with cascade.

I personally love this hop - fresh it tastes really weird and can be almost sour to taste (winelike as some suggest). With cellar time it dulls off and becomes more like a US Cascade or Amarillo in flavour - some citrus seems to come out for some reason I've found.

If you make anything with this hop, hold back a couple of bottles in your cellar if you have the willpower. It's worth it!

Hopper.

Watch out for N/S.

I had lots of it and used it only in the 60 minute boil of a Pale Ale trying to avoid getting any flavour in there, just bitterness.

Huge flavour came through...

I found it works wonderfully with a lot of caramel maltiness. To me it tastes of peach/nectarines.

I won't ever use more than 15g for dry hopping anymore though, as it starts to get on ya nerves it's such a big hop.

Watch out for N/S.

I had lots of it and used it only in the 60 minute boil of a Pale Ale trying to avoid getting any flavour in there, just bitterness.

Huge flavour came through...

I found it works wonderfully with a lot of caramel maltiness. To me it tastes of peach/nectarines.

I won't ever use more than 15g for dry hopping anymore though, as it starts to get on ya nerves it's such a big hop.

It does mellow out over time as Hopping Mad said, but if you are anything like me beer doesnt hang around long. I so want to like the hop more then I do!

It does mellow out over time as Hopping Mad said, but if you are anything like me beer doesnt hang around long. I so want to like the hop more then I do!

:D I bought 3 x 90g packs of pellets a while back because I loved it. I OD'ed on N/S!

Well put, Katie. In my opinion NS definitely needs to be used either with great restraint or in conjunction with something else. Also beware it can put out a great cat piss character.

Latest posts

Back