Hop Of The Week 21/2/07 - Willamette

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Fantastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Disgusting

• 0 - Never used this hop

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Another American hop, but one far away from the citrus of Cascade and other such hops. Willamette is more of an English type of hop.

So, what sort of beers have you used this hop in? How did you use it? What other hops does it go well with? Are there any commercial beers that this hop is used in? Any other tips for using this hop?

Tell us all you know so we can make better beer. :chug:

Information from Brewrats.

Willamette (United States)
Specifications
Pedigree: A triploid seedling of the English Fuggle variety.
Aroma: Mild and pleasant, slightly spicy
Alpha Acids: 4.0 6.0% w/w
Beta Acids: 3.0 4.0% w/w
Co-Humulone: 30 -35% of alpha acids
Storageability: 60 65% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20 C
Total Oil: 1.0 1.5% mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 45 55% of whole oil
Humulene: 20 30% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 7 8% of whole oil
Farnesene: 5 6% of whole oil
General Trade Perception: A quality aroma hop
Possible Substitutions: US Fuggle, US Tettnang, Styrian Golding
Typical Beer Styles: All English-style Ales, and US Pale and Brown Ales.
Additional Information: Released in 1976 and well-established in the US industry. Currently the most widely grown aroma hops in the US.
Information source: Hopunion CBS, LLC

I think its a fantastic hop. Used it in everything from APA's to a cream ale i put down yesterday. Very versatile hop!

I'd second that view. Prior to the arrival of craftbrewer on my radar I used this as a substitute hop for the American ones I couldn't get, and as an English bittering hop when I ran short.

A good all purpose hop for me, despite the description of it as mainly aroma.

I would admit that with the range now available I haven't used this for some time, preferring to go for american american style hops, and English english style hops etc but I am a sucker for trying new ones that I see rather than returning to tried and true so that doesn't mean anything...

It's the aroma hop in James Squire Amber Ale. Definitely more English-style than the fruit-salad American hops. I've read that it is "Fuggle-like", and I suppose that fits. It has a distinctive aroma of its own, though.

I've used it a fair bit, mostly in my attempts to copy JSAA, but also in standard bitters and dark ales.

This weekend I'm brewing another Squire clone, so the Willamette will get another run.

I brewed a Lagunitas IPA clone based on this recipe and found it to be incredible neutral and down right boring :ph34r: But have also used it in a blonde ale and it was very easy drinking and light in flavour.

I heard on The Brewing Network that it is a major hop in a American mega lager and they use it because it is very neutral and non offensive.

Just for something different. Make yourself a Coopers SA type beer. Sub the Pride of Ringwood for Willamette and add quite a bit as a late hop. Also make sure you reculture the CSA yeast.

Beautiful. :super: :super:

Yes, I obviously love Willamette.

Warren -

I have a first-year Willamette growing in the yard. Have never tried it before though but liked what I'd read about it.

Tried this for the first time on the weekend in a stout. The smell upon opening the teabag packet was mouth-wateringly delicious. I know I'll be using this hop again for sure.

Thumbs%20Up%20Pic.gif

I Loves this Hop

Some pedigree info here

I used this hop for the first time in a Pale Ale, with 100% Williamette.
The recipe
4Kgs Golden Promise
1Kg Galaxy
200g Light crystal
250g Wheat

Hop additions all Williamette
40g 60mins
15g 20minutes
15g 10 minutes
20g flameout
US56

It is a very easy drinking ale crystal clear bittered to about 30IBU's. This was a non chill batch. The aroma is a little subdued perhaps because of the No chill, but flavourwise it has an subtle earthy taste quite nice and definetly more toward the English style. Sorry not too good at the taste descriptions, it is a hop I would use again but probably in a combination; this recipe was made to assess the hop alone.
This beer was tasted at Ross's, last Friday and was described as a definete quafffer.

AC

Just to add a little trivia about the pronunciation of this hop.
I have always pronounced it..... Will-A-Mett......
But during a discussion about it with a pro brewer some time a go,he pronounced it differently.
A bit of research and I have found that he was saying it correctly.
Will-Am-It is the correct pronunciation.

Just to add a little trivia about the pronunciation of this hop.
I have always pronounced it..... Will-A-Mett......
But during a discussion about it with a pro brewer some time a go,he pronounced it differently.
A bit of research and I have found that he was saying it correctly.
Will-Am-It is the correct pronunciation.

One of the downsides of learning everything from the internet and reading is you dont learn the correct pronunciation. I used to say it Will-A-Mett but have changed to Will-Am-It since hearing it on the varies podcast, but a lot of club members say it as Will-A-Mett. So the difference may be one is American and one Australian, a bit like aluminium and aluminum.

I prefer Will-Am-It since it is an American hop.

I prefer Will-Am-It since it is an American hop.

Will-Am-It or Won't-Am-It ? :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject... Anybody have any experience with NZ grown Willamette? :unsure:

Warren -

Ive been home brewing since 1988 and in all the time since there has always been a bag of Willamette in my fridge. Certainly an all time favorite for me.

While we're on the subject... Anybody have any experience with NZ grown Willamette? :unsure:

Warren -

I have some but i never really used it, i just use it to hop my starters now ;)

I put down a schwazbier of sorts last night and used a bit of willamette with some saaz. (I was going to go all Saaz but ran out.) It's by no means true to the style but I had a little taste out of the fermenter and it seems like a promisingly tasty brew!

The comparatively small amount of willamette seems to subtly compliment the saaz, but perhaps not in a way I could spot it if I wasn't looking for it.

Anyone else used it in a lager style? The flavour strikes me as a little delicate and quite possibly well suited if used sparsely...

Doesn't Willamette also compliment stouts?

Definitely goes beautifully in dark ales. I made an American Brown with Willamette a while back and it was great! I don't brew too many stouts though so can't really comment there...

Doesn't Willamette also compliment stouts?
it does to me ...i add it late...actually i seem to use it one way or another in everything from wheats ..pale ales ..dark ales and as i've said stouts...the amount varies and probably not true to style for some but i don't give a bugger about that ...i likes whats i likes as popeyes says..

Warren -

Pulling up an oldy

Anyone used or been using the NZ variety?
Also as far as it being called 'will-am-it' you can actually find it being spelt williamette, such as beersmith and a few net searchs I have done.
Would that make it willy-am-it? :eek:

Of course this hop seems to be mostly used in darker beers as you would fuggles, but I'll be giving it a crack in a reasonbly well hopped pale ale/bitter aswell as a amber or brown. Used it in a robust porter yesterday but that really isn't gunna give that good of a indictation of its true flavour.

Surelly someones been using NZ willamette flowers yeah? sounds like some have had pretty lack lustre results with willamette in pale ales but I'am not put off as I'am pretty confident these fresh NZ flowers will cut the mustard.

Latest posts

Back