Hop Of The Week 21/2/07 - Willamette

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - Fantastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Disgusting

• 0 - Never used this hop

• Total voters
I have been using, it used it in a oatmeal stout and a Export 80/- the stout is still in the cube but the Export was tasty, i found it to be a nice smooth bitterness but the Export was only around 18 IBU's so it would not be harsh anyway. :icon_cheers:

Pulling up an oldy

Anyone used or been using the NZ variety?
Also as far as it being called 'will-am-it' you can actually find it being spelt williamette, such as beersmith and a few net searchs I have done.
Would that make it willy-am-it? :eek:

Jayse I tried them once and for me that was enough. They reminded me of wet, mouldy carpet. More like Fuggles needing a bath than the US Willamette we're used to.

Let's just say they're very earthy and compost-like.

Edit: I forgot to add I love US Willamette.

Warren -

urrgh!
oh well maybe I'll do a amber or brown first and see before commiting them to a pale ale.

Pulling up an oldy

Anyone used or been using the NZ variety?
Also as far as it being called 'will-am-it' you can actually find it being spelt williamette, such as beersmith and a few net searchs I have done.
Would that make it willy-am-it? :eek:

Of course this hop seems to be mostly used in darker beers as you would fuggles, but I'll be giving it a crack in a reasonbly well hopped pale ale/bitter aswell as a amber or brown. Used it in a robust porter yesterday but that really isn't gunna give that good of a indictation of its true flavour.

Surelly someones been using NZ willamette flowers yeah? sounds like some have had pretty lack lustre results with willamette in pale ales but I'am not put off as I'am pretty confident these fresh NZ flowers will cut the mustard.

Ive never used US Williamette but love NZ Williamette in dark/english type beers, I get a nice earthy slightly spicyness out of it! If a recipe calls for fuggles ill generally use Williamette first!

Spot on Reviled, earthy and spicy is what i got from the NZ flowers tasty as a Mofo.

My point exactly chaps don't you find it more like an intense UK Fuggle as opposed to a US Willamette? :unsure:

Warren -

My point exactly chaps don't you find it more like an intense UK Fuggle as opposed to a US Willamette? :unsure:

Warren -

Like I said I havnt tried US williamette so cant compare, but would definately class NZ Williamette as Fuggles with an edge..

Combined with Styrians = :icon_drool2:

Does the US variety have any citrus/fruity character?

Like I said I havnt tried US williamette so cant compare, but would definately class NZ Williamette as Fuggles with an edge..

I find the US variety to be tobacco spicy/floral and a little sweet in comparison to NZ Willamette or Fuggles. US Willamette always seems a saner choice in paler beers than Fuggles. To each their own though.

Warren -

Jayse I tried them once and for me that was enough. They reminded me of wet, mouldy carpet. More like Fuggles needing a bath than the US Willamette we're used to.

Let's just say they're very earthy and compost-like.

Edit: I forgot to add I love US Willamette.

Warren -

Exactly my findings. I did an IPA with NZ Willamette and NZ Goldings and I think ended up tipping it down the drain. And I almost never do that! Never touched it since.

I think there's a good reason why the staple hop varieties are in fact the staple hope varieties!

Exactly my findings. I did an IPA with NZ Willamette and NZ Goldings and I think ended up tipping it down the drain. And I almost never do that! Never touched it since.

I think there's a good reason why the staple hop varieties are in fact the staple hope varieties!

:eek: Holy shit TD, that sounds like it would have been a nice beer, mate of mine allways uses NZ goldings and he did a brew with NZ williamette also, I really enjoyed it :huh: Each to their own I guess :blink:

:icon_offtopic:

On the subject of Fuggles, I have two shrinks of NZ fuggles and have been using them in UK bitters no problems. I note that on the Craftbrewer site the description of the UK and NZ varieties are identical but, given my (positive) experiences with like named NZ hops... is there any significant difference between NZ fuggles and UK fuggles? Apart from getting them in flower form of course.

You should be right Bribie... I remember reading (somewhere) that quite a few NZ hops are descended from Fuggles rootstock. Wish I could remember where. If my memory serves me correctly it may have been a few years ago on the old ESB website. :)

Warren -

:icon_offtopic:

On the subject of Fuggles, I have two shrinks of NZ fuggles and have been using them in UK bitters no problems. I note that on the Craftbrewer site the description of the UK and NZ varieties are identical but, given my (positive) experiences with like named NZ hops... is there any significant difference between NZ fuggles and UK fuggles? Apart from getting them in flower form of course.

Ive used both and cant say I noticed a difference at all... And pretty sure Warrens right that alot of our hops came from Fuggles originally, but then didnt everything :lol:

:eek: Holy shit TD, that sounds like it would have been a nice beer, mate of mine allways uses NZ goldings and he did a brew with NZ williamette also, I really enjoyed it :huh: Each to their own I guess :blink:

Yep I was all psyched for it. Supposedly the same hops as in Emerson IPA. The beer was clearly not infected either, it was entirely a hop flavour issue. It was almost as if I had used decomposing green hop flowers or something - it was that kind of character. Possibly a dodgy batch of hops if your mate has had success with it...?

Yep I was all psyched for it. Supposedly the same hops as in Emerson IPA. The beer was clearly not infected either, it was entirely a hop flavour issue. It was almost as if I had used decomposing green hop flowers or something - it was that kind of character. Possibly a dodgy batch of hops if your mate has had success with it...?

Yeah alot of us over here generally just use pellets cos you have to do a minimum 1kg order for flowers.. May have something to do with it?

also :icon_offtopic: but while I've got Reviled on the line here. I entered an American Amber, just in a mini comp, but it got marked down as being possibly infected with 'dettol' ovetones. It's certainly very aromatic but I used a BIG whack of BSaaz to ultra-late hop it a few days before bottling.

Reviled I noted a few days ago you said not to late hop with BSaaz, do you think that was possibly the cause of the obtrusive flavour? IMHO it's one of the best beers I have made so far.

also :icon_offtopic: but while I've got Reviled on the line here. I entered an American Amber, just in a mini comp, but it got marked down as being possibly infected with 'dettol' ovetones. It's certainly very aromatic but I used a BIG whack of BSaaz to ultra-late hop it a few days before bottling.

Reviled I noted a few days ago you said not to late hop with BSaaz, do you think that was possibly the cause of the obtrusive flavour? IMHO it's one of the best beers I have made so far.

I wasnt saying not to late hop someone else said that, think it was Bonj, but I was asking what you thought of it as a late hop?

Apparantly it can be quite overpowering late, or dry hopped, so it could have just put the judge off? You know how some drinkers arent very fond of mega hopped beers? Dettol seems like a wierd description tho?

I wasnt saying not to late hop someone else said that, think it was Bonj, but I was asking what you thought of it as a late hop?

Apparantly it can be quite overpowering late, or dry hopped, so it could have just put the judge off? You know how some drinkers arent very fond of mega hopped beers? Dettol seems like a wierd description tho?

Your'e right, sorry I got it turned round there. I might pm Bonj as I really want to get to the bottom of this. That's right now I remember he said don't use Bsaaz but use Cascade to heart's content. Jeez, reviled, it's getting dangerously near beer o'clock :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back