Hop Info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legham

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
would like to find out how to properly Dry Hop. Is that what you do when the boiling time is 0 mins?
cheers for any info.

legham.

Not necessarily. 0 min additions are usully also known as flame out additions. i.ee you drop em in when you switch of the boil. They are primarily intended to add hop aroma to the brew, with minimal flavour and no bitterness (assuming you start chilling straight away, and don't open that can of worm about no-chill bitterness!).

Sometimes in the recipe database people list their dry hop additions as 0 mins because AFAIK there is no support for dry hop in the programming.

Dry hopping is generally done a few days into the fermentation (i.e. once the initial vigourous fermentation is completed). If you dry hop into the fermenter you can throw the pellets/flowers straight in and let them sit in there for a few days upto a week, eventually they will sink to the bottom of the fermenter and you can rack you beer off.

Alternatively if you are kegging and decide you want to add more hop aroma/zing to the beer you can dry hop into the keg. This is normally done with a s/s teaball, or some other device to contain the hops (saves you straining them with your teeth!). IF you do it this way, you want to be able to remove the hops once the desired level of aroma is reach somewhere up to 7-10 days depending on your preferences. Tying a piece of dental floss to the ball and letting this sit through the keg seal is an easy way.

Hope this helps. There is no hard and fast concrete method for dry hopping, much like many other brewing processes, following the tips, experiment and let your tastebuds guide you!

Cheers SJ

Not necessarily. 0 min additions are usully also known as flame out additions. i.ee you drop em in when you switch of the boil. They are primarily intended to add hop aroma to the brew, with minimal flavour and no bitterness (assuming you start chilling straight away, and don't open that can of worm about no-chill bitterness!).

Sometimes in the recipe database people list their dry hop additions as 0 mins because AFAIK there is no support for dry hop in the programming.

Dry hopping is generally done a few days into the fermentation (i.e. once the initial vigourous fermentation is completed). If you dry hop into the fermenter you can throw the pellets/flowers straight in and let them sit in there for a few days upto a week, eventually they will sink to the bottom of the fermenter and you can rack you beer off.

Alternatively if you are kegging and decide you want to add more hop aroma/zing to the beer you can dry hop into the keg. This is normally done with a s/s teaball, or some other device to contain the hops (saves you straining them with your teeth!). IF you do it this way, you want to be able to remove the hops once the desired level of aroma is reach somewhere up to 7-10 days depending on your preferences. Tying a piece of dental floss to the ball and letting this sit through the keg seal is an easy way.

Hope this helps. There is no hard and fast concrete method for dry hopping, much like many other brewing processes, following the tips, experiment and let your tastebuds guide you!

Cheers SJ

Thanks for that explains alot!

meh, mint or cinnamon works well for me either way ^_^

Otherwise if you're not after additional "floss flavour" just whack it in your mouth and give it a good suck for a few minutes!!!! :eek:

Cheers SJ

I've been meaning to post this pic for a while, so here's my excuse. This is what I use to dry hop-

IMGP0143640x480.jpg

Essentially they are end caps with pipe. I have included the yeast nutrient to provide some sort of scaling. The one on the left I use mainly for keg hopping- I whacked 30g of NS in it for my summer ale, it was tasty. I haven't used the bigger one yet, I'm thinking of using it for my upcoming 'leftover hops IPA' since I'll put about 50-60g (for a 50L batch) in, and the 30g really expanded like crazy and filled the smaller one in the keg.

^^ Nice work there P&C, I've wandered past the PVC plumbing aisle a few times at Bunnings with thoughts of these items.

I guess though the real question is when are you running a bulk buy for these items? :ph34r:

Back