Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i ended up going with this

23 ltr batch

5000gm jw pilsner
250gm caramunich
250gm carapils
us-05 yeast

cascade 16 gms 60 mins
citra 9 gms 60mins
amarillo 5gms 15mins
cascade 5gms 15mins
centennial 5 gms 15mins
citra 5gms 15mins
amarillo 5gms 10mins
cascade 5gms 10mins
centennial 5 gms 10mins
citra 5gms 10mins
amarillo 5gms 0mins
cascade 5gms 0mins
centennial 5 gms 0mins
citra 5gms 0mins
dry hop 5 days 20gms each cascade, centennial, citra

total ibu: 50.4

its been in the bottle 9 days, i tasted it side by side with a hop hog. mine had a lot more aroma, all in all its very similar, mine is more fruity, it's only my 5th AG but i'd guess there is either a hop different or i've staggered my hops different and one of them is more dominant, i'm guessing the amarillo? i need to do some more smashes to get to know my hops better.

very happy though, best beer so far, happy to have a "go to" beer.

edit: the hop hog is a little more orange in colour than mine

Can I get some feedback on this recipe? Which one of my options do you think would have the best outcome? Can you guys also advise me how to convert the percentages of malt in kilograms so that I can make a 23L batch at 5.8% / 1.059?

Malt #1:
BB Galaxy 97.5%
Caramunich I 2.5%

Malt #2:
BB Pale 75%
Munich I 17%
Caramunich 3.5%
Crystal Dark 3.5%

Malt #3:
BB Malt 5.1kg
Munich Malt 0.6kg
Caramunich I 0.2kg

Hops:
Hallerteu 60mins for 12 IBUs
Yeast nutrient 15mins
Polyclar 1tsp 15mins

Schedule #1:
40g Centennial 5mins
35g Amarillo 5mins
35g Citra 5mins
25g Simcoe 5mins

17g Amarillo Dry
17g Citra Dry
15g Centennial
13g Simcoe Dry

Schedule #2:
40g Centennial 5mins
8.2 IBUs Cascade 5mins
35g Citra 5mins
7 IBUs Galaxy 5mins

17g Amarillo Dry
17g Cascade Dry
15g Centennial
13g Galaxy Dry

Schedule #3:
Centennial 40g 5mins
Cascade 5mins IBUs?
Amarillo 5 mins IBUs?

Same schedule dry hopped with less then boil weight

Didn't bother working out IBUs with 3rd schedule just yet.

There seems to be a hell of a lot of conflicting recipe information regarding the hop schedule. This is partly because feral mix it up depending on seasonal availability and hop harvest success. However, I'm pretty damn sure that one of these 3 combinations are what feral go with, or maybe its all 3 of these combinations depending on variables.

Regarding the Malt, #1 is what Feral use I'm almost 100% sure, problem is the availability of Galaxy malt is pretty limited in Melbourne from what I can suss out.

Also guys, if I haven't got myself an immersion wort chiller just yet, what do you think of throwing the flavour hops in at flameout instead in order to make sure the steeping that goes on as I cool the wort doesn't ruin the hops by making them overly bitter? Will that effect IBUs noticeably?

Cheers guys,
Luke

I just kegged a batch of Hop Hog inspired IPA that used half a kilo of hops. Will let you know how it goes.

Jedi Master Brewer Luke said:
Can I get some feedback on this recipe? Which one of my options do you think would have the best outcome? Can you guys also advise me how to convert the percentages of malt in kilograms so that I can make a 23L batch at 5.8% / 1.059?

Malt #1:
BB Galaxy 97.5%
Caramunich I 2.5%

Malt #2:
BB Pale 75%
Munich I 17%
Caramunich 3.5%
Crystal Dark 3.5%

Malt #3:
BB Malt 5.1kg
Munich Malt 0.6kg
Caramunich I 0.2kg

Hops:
Hallerteu 60mins for 12 IBUs
Yeast nutrient 15mins
Polyclar 1tsp 15mins

Schedule #1:
40g Centennial 5mins
35g Amarillo 5mins
35g Citra 5mins
25g Simcoe 5mins

17g Amarillo Dry
17g Citra Dry
15g Centennial
13g Simcoe Dry

Schedule #2:
40g Centennial 5mins
8.2 IBUs Cascade 5mins
35g Citra 5mins
7 IBUs Galaxy 5mins

17g Amarillo Dry
17g Cascade Dry
15g Centennial
13g Galaxy Dry

Schedule #3:
Centennial 40g 5mins
Cascade 5mins IBUs?
Amarillo 5 mins IBUs?

Same schedule dry hopped with less then boil weight

Didn't bother working out IBUs with 3rd schedule just yet.

There seems to be a hell of a lot of conflicting recipe information regarding the hop schedule. This is partly because feral mix it up depending on seasonal availability and hop harvest success. However, I'm pretty damn sure that one of these 3 combinations are what feral go with, or maybe its all 3 of these combinations depending on variables.

Regarding the Malt, #1 is what Feral use I'm almost 100% sure, problem is the availability of Galaxy malt is pretty limited in Melbourne from what I can suss out.

Also guys, if I haven't got myself an immersion wort chiller just yet, what do you think of throwing the flavour hops in at flameout instead in order to make sure the steeping that goes on as I cool the wort doesn't ruin the hops by making them overly bitter? Will that effect IBUs noticeably?

Cheers guys,
Luke
Malt 3 and hops 1 but reduce the hops at each time to 2g/l total ie 0.5g/l Amarillo, 0.5g/l, centennial etc

Latest posts

Back