Hop Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayr

Reaction score
Yeah...I bought some hop plants on a whim from the lilydale herb farm despite them not being able to tell me what variety there were.
Was hoping someone might be able to identify them from this picture and the fact that squishing them between my fingers gives a distinctive pineapple aroma.
any help would be appreciated. cheers, murray

smaller.JPG

Amarillo = fruity
Cascade = citrusy (it's a word now)

Never done nelsons so scrumpy would know better than I.

From experience of not being able to identify some hops, you'll have much better luck with taste/smell comparisons rather than how they look.
Even do a min-brew with some and you may be able to identify them yourself or with someone who has hop-educated-tastebuds.

Maybe dry some out and make 100ml of hop tea. Pour a liter of commercial (no flavour hops) beer on top of this and try it.

Herb farm....be surprised if they are brewing hops, probably one of the ornamental varieties.

well whatever they are, they are now officially harvested and drying.
now that thats done, do i need to cut back the vines or do i just leave them?
cheers

Yeah...I bought some hop plants on a whim from the lilydale herb farm despite them not being able to tell me what variety there were.
Was hoping someone might be able to identify them from this picture and the fact that squishing them between my fingers gives a distinctive pineapple aroma.
any help would be appreciated. cheers, murray

If you can give me a photo of a single leaf it will help, but it is still hard to identify plants this way! the cone looks like a Mt Hood or Aurora/Super Styrian, but the pineapple aroma does not fit. Might be a NZ Hallertau, but still not a fit with the pineapple.

Cheers

Brett

Latest posts

Back