Hop Growing Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housecat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering, what would happen to my hop plant if I pruned the top of it a bit? it is getting really tall and was wondering what would happen if I did cut the top off.

top_of_hop.jpeg

Also, I thought I'd brag about my year old lemon having a decent amount of lemons on it, looking forward to trying a couple :)

Lemon.jpeg

HC

In my experience thus far with hops, any top cropping will encourage lateral shoot growth - where most of your hop cones will form from.

I cut the tips from my hops once they hit the top of the trellis at home too.

It shouldn't hurt it. If you do chop it, chop it just where your thumb is, below the node. Then put the piece in a glass of water, it will sprout roots in a few days, giving you another plant of the same sort and sex.

It shouldn't hurt it. If you do chop it, chop it just where your thumb is, below the node. Then put the piece in a glass of water, it will sprout roots in a few days, giving you another plant of the same sort and sex.

That's awesome! Thanks for that piece of information.

By the way, when do flowers start to appear? My plants are only in their first season so I don't expect there to be many but just wondering when to expect them to grow?
Thanks

Nice one, I'll do that :) any tips on how tall I should let it grow before doing it? or is it a piece of string?

Thanks for the advice

HC

By the way, when do flowers start to appear? My plants are only in their first season so I don't expect there to be many but just wondering when to expect them to grow?

No flowers on mine in their first year, usually 2nd year onwards.

My chinook has cones and flowers forming now, POR a bit slower just some flowers, others are just growing with nothing yet. Its been a bit cooler in Adelaide this summer thus far though.

Back