Hop Gobbler - 24 L boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jegsp

Reaction score
Right - so I've been looking at the Hop Gobbler recipe on the Coopers app for a while and now I have all the ingredients to make it.

The last kit I used was from cleverbrewing and I did a 24 L boil.

So I was playing around with IanH's spreadsheet to try and convert the Hop Gobbler recipe into a full volume boil.

This is what I came up with:

1.7 kg English Bitter Kit
1.5 kg Briess Amber LME
500 gms Coopers LDME
100 gms chocolate malt
100 gms crystal malt (I think its about 60L? 145 EBC...)
15 gms Fuggles @ 60 mins
15 gms EKG @ 60 mins
10 gms Fuggles @ 10 mins
10 gms EKG @ 10 mins

Dry hop additional

I've also played around with taking out the chocolate malt and boosting the ABV by steeping 1 kg of crystal malt. Might make it a partial mash?

Thoughts?

The original recipe on the coopers sight looks the goods for a hobbgoblin type beer. You aren't dong a partial mash. In a mash you would be converting starch to sugar. The grains you are using have already been converted/roasted in very specific ways to provide body/flavour /colour. 1 kg of crystal is generally way to much and won't add much to the abv due to the long chain sugars in the crystal being unconvertable by beer yeast.

Jegsp,

wereprawn is correct. If you are wanting to go partial-mash then you'll need a base malt like pale or pilsner malt, which would form the majority of you grain bill.

From the partial-mash recipes I've seen, you'll need to have about 2kg to 2.5kg of grain and 1kg to 2kg of extract (in general terms) to be playing in the partial-mash area.

Your recipe seems more extract recipe with specialty grains. I tend to do extract with spec grains and tend to go for a mix of (1) 1kg to 1.5kg of spec malt steeped and (2) 2.5kg to 3.0kg of extract (liquid or dry).

The couple of partial-mash recipes I've done have had 2.5kg to 3kg of grains - 2/3 of this grain has been a base malt like Pearl, Pilsner Pale or Vienna etc., which I've mashed for 60 mins. I've added some specialty malts to this at the halfway mark (30 mins) of the mash/steep.

Below is my recent Irish Red Ale recipe, which came out nice. This is simply to show you my partial-mash recipe approach. I've also attached a pic of it in the glass on bottling day.

Good luck with your brew.

Cheers,

Pete

[SIZE=36pt]Irish Red Setter Ale[/SIZE] [SIZE=16pt](23 Litres)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Figures:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* IBU: 26.2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* ABV: 5.0%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* Colour: Reddish-Amber (EBC 26.5)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* Body: Medium[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.5kg of Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pilsner Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 2.5kgs Red X Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 250grams Shepherds Delight Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Perle hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* English Ale Yeast (S-04)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Method :[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]Put cracked malts in 12 litres of hot water (70C) and steep for 60 minutes (add Shep Del at 30 min mark). Strain steeped liquid into large pot and bring to boil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The boil will be for 60 minutes.[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]With 60 mins to go, add 30grams of Perle hops.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=12pt]With 15 mins to go, add 1 Whirlfloc tablet and stir in.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=12pt]With 10 mins to go, add 60grams of Perle hops.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=12pt]At Flameout, let sit for 15 minutes.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=12pt]Then sit the pot in a sink of iced water and cool to around 20C.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=12pt]Pour through a sieve into the fermenter, then add LDME, stir and top-up with cold water to reach volume of 23 Litres at a temperature of 18C to 20C.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=12pt]Sprinkle English yeast and give a light stir in, then put lid on.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=12pt]Ferment at 18C for 8 Days.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=12pt]Bring temp up to 20C on Day 9.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=12pt]3 Days before bottling drop temp to 1C.[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=12pt]On day 14 bottle.[/SIZE]

View attachment Irish-red-ale-2016.pdf

Latest posts

Back