Hop Freshness?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fodder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recall a while back a thread discussing the various methods at which to best keep your hops fresh and a debate over fridge vs freezer etc etc...cant seem to find that one though <_<

However, I was just wondering from a general perspective, once you've cracked the little foil packet that the hops come in (i usually buy 100gm foil bags of hop pellets) how long would you suggest is too long for them to keep.

I've got mine still in the foil packets, then zip locked in plastic bags, in the butter storage compartment of my fridge. They have been there for about 6 months, and are definately no where near as green or aromatic as when first purchased.

Which comes as no surprise, but just wondering how long the rest of the fraternity would guess at being too long to keep....?

Also, for future reference, is it worth me freezing them instead of the fridge?

Thanks in advance

I've had hops pellets for a few years and they are still ok but of course not as good as fresh hops. Got myself a cheap vacuum sealer off ebay to help extend the life of the hops. Stored in the keg fridge.

Best is

Vac sealer into usable sized bags... no need to disturb a 1kg bag for 10g hops.
Store in feezer.. for many years

Once frozen try and never let defrost unless you are going to use them soon.

QldKev

Best is

Vac sealer into usable sized bags... no need to disturb a 1kg bag for 10g hops.
Store in feezer.. for many years

Once frozen try and never let defrost unless you are going to use them soon.

QldKev

How long without the vac sealer but in a sealed container in the freezer?

How long without the vac sealer but in a sealed container in the freezer?

I would only be guess as I've never kept them without the vac sealer for that long.

The air tight container will stop fresh air mixing, but you are trapping an amount of air in there with it. Every time you open the container fresh air is getting back in, and then you are resealing it in with the hops again. I would guess at 6 months to a year tops.

Hopefully someone who has had experience storing it this way can clarify this.

Depending on vol/value of hops you have / will have, a vac sealer is a good investment. They can also be used for other food products.

QldKev

IIRC, hops stored vac packed at fridge temp lose the same AA% as hops stored in a loose sealed bag in the freezer ~ 1AA% per year.

Not vac packed and in the door of the fridge? Who knows what their AA% is.

If you store them well, you can take roughly a percent off the AA% every year.

Flavour and aroma? Who knows.

I would only be guess as I've never kept them without the vac sealer for that long.

The air tight container will stop fresh air mixing, but you are trapping an amount of air in there with it. Every time you open the container fresh air is getting back in, and then you are resealing it in with the hops again. I would guess at 6 months to a year tops.

Hopefully someone who has had experience storing it this way can clarify this.

Depending on vol/value of hops you have / will have, a vac sealer is a good investment. They can also be used for other food products.

QldKev

Cheers Kev, I think I will put this one to the test tomorrow when I brew my IPA, I've got Target and EKG (flowers/cones) opened 6 months ago and only used the once so I will share my results (hopefully they'll be good...)
The vac sealer is a good idea and I'm on the lookout at the moment, planning on growing a few different types of hop over here as well just as soon as I can find a supplier that won't charge the earth!

I've used hops stored for up to 4 or so years in the freezer, and they've been fine.
I store mine in ziplock bags, with as much air as possible removed, and then in a tupperware type container.

I don't think they've lost as much in AA% as all the prevailing wisdom seems to indicate. I make no adjustment in BeerSmith for the age of the hops, and I'm not losing perceived bitterness nor flavour/aroma.

I've used hops stored for up to 4 or so years in the freezer, and they've been fine.
I store mine in ziplock bags, with as much air as possible removed, and then in a tupperware type container.

I don't think they've lost as much in AA% as all the prevailing wisdom seems to indicate. I make no adjustment in BeerSmith for the age of the hops, and I'm not losing perceived bitterness nor flavour/aroma.

I've got some left over hops from those 1kg plugs from, the 2006 buy. They have lost some bitterness, but surprisingly they are still very yummy, they have been vac sealed and frozen most their life though.

QldKev

I've got 2yo hops in the fridge stored in those sealable bags from CB, which really aren't airtight. They live in a lunchbox, also not airtight. Hops are still fine and the flavor is at worst, slightly less than when I first got them, hardly noticable. I believe they are 06' crop, from memory, maybe 07'.

Latest posts

Back