Hop Flower Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffo17

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all, sorry it's been such a long time since I've contributed, but have been busy (OS amongst other things)!

A good mate of mine bought 3 hop rhizomes on ebay and 1 of them (cascade I think) went off and produced a heap of flowers in it's first year.

Assuming aroma is their only use, what is the best way to use them? Do i just put a few in fine mesh bag and drop them into the fermentor for the duration?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers & beers

Griffo

Aroma is not their only use. It's just that the AA may be unknown so it depends on how specific you like to be with designing your recipes.

The only time I've ever used fresh flowers, I put half in the boil at about 15 mins and half in secondary for about 3-4 days.

Brew tasted lovely.

You can freeze them without drying (vac sealer unit helps cut the size down dramatically).
Then you can add wet flowers (with most/all original oils from vine that are lost in drying) straight to your boil or fermenter after the majority of ferment has finished.

Thanks for the tips guys. Do i need to contain them (in some sort of bag) or just throw them in?

Cheers & Beers

Griffo

Throw them in, but in fermentation you might want to rack to another vessel after 3-5 days (taste) because you might start getting vegetal flavours coming through. My early harvested Hersbruker is like lemon and lawn together at last.

Back