Hop Floaties and not gassed enough

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillsey

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have just kegged my first beer which I have made from a fresh wort kit and I dry hopped with pellets. I transferred the beer from the fermenter to the keg and chilled it overnight and then gassed it at 35-40 PSI for 19 hours (1 hour each litre). The beer has bubbles but not enough and there are floaties from the hop pellets in the beer. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with this beer and/or what I should do to improve it next time?
I would really appreciate your help and feedback.

Leave it connected at 35-40 PSI for another 2 days, and then try it again - carbonation should be fine. Re: floaties etc, let them settle down over time. The longer it sits at cooler temps, the more that stuff will settle out. Or alternatively, you could use gelatin in the keg if you wanted. Plenty of threads on here with walkthoughs.

Did you cold crash and or use finings before kegging? That's probably easiest option, I usually filter with a keg to keg filter setup. But for your particular keg, the hop chunks will probably settle in a week or so. I usually sit my keg pressure at 18psi for a week or so for a decent level of carbonation. Just have to be patient mate.

Hi Rockeye84,
What do you mean by cold crash? And are finings something in a packet you pour into the keg before you add the beer? Sorry... all new to this.

If you ferment in a working fridge, just before you keg, crank the temp down to 2-3c, that will make most of the yeast & floaties drop out of suspension in a few days. Just before you cold crash u can add gelatine/finings to your ferment vessel, this will give you even better results. Brew shops sell little packets of finings.

Finings are added at the completion of fermentation, either to the fermenter during the cold crash or to a cold keg, to clear the beer, I don't think they work on hop particles though,mainly yeast and proteins, depending which type of fining is used.Time at cold temps will help settle the hops. If the floaties bother you, try using a hop sock to contain them while brewing.

slcmorro said:
Leave it connected at 35-40 PSI for another 2 days, and then try it again - carbonation should be fine.
That would give it a total of 3 days at 40psi and it will likely pour just foam.

Personally I would turn it down to serving pressure and give it a week. The hops will settle and probably come out in the first few glasses. Alternatively give it a few more hours at 40psi, but I would go longer than about 36 hours total or you may over-carb.

Back