Hop Chroming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cracked open another 450gm bag of amarillo yesterday and it was beautiful, just full on tropical fruit :wub:

Am I the only one with this secret shame?

No, no you are not. Is there meetings we should be going to?

No, no you are not. Is there meetings we should be going to?
We all bring a bag of our favourite hops along and share the experience?

Or more like "My names boddingtons best and I'm a hopaholic"

If it's the first, I'll be a regional co-ordinator :lol:

I'm guilty of this, last time I opened a fresh bag of Cascade I got carried away and ate one of the pellets . Took hours to get the taste out of my back teeth :blink: .

I'm guilty of this, last time I opened a fresh bag of Cascade I got carried away and ate one of the pellets . Took hours to get the taste out of my back teeth :blink: .

Haha :lol: , excellent!

Guilty as charged!!!!!

"QUOTE (manticle @ Aug 15 2009, 01:26 PM) There's loads of recipes you could tweak in the DB (and a million LCPA clone threads).

My only though is that amber extract might give you too dark a beer. You will also get some flavour from the chinook at 30 mins so it depends on whether you like chinook (I do but some find it too piney/resiny) and whether you taste chinook in LC. (I like LC but I can't say i've drunk enough to try an pick the hop.

Funny that, it's by far my fav hops! I practically huff that shit when I'm brewing!!" - My response taken from a thread yesterday. My name is Lewy and I'm a Chinook huffer...."

If people want to organise a meeting..... hahaha

All. The. Time. It's one of the best parts of brewing!

My stepdaughter (adult) sometimes comes into the brauhaus to see what I'm doing and loves to sniff the hops. She is a total non drinker. She sniffs this and that and says "yes definitely grapefruit" etc. Usually females are revolted by strong 'dirty sock' aromas that you get from hops at a distance but she really enjoys the olfactory experience.

So I'm reading this thread thinking "what a bunch of weirdos". Then I'm thinking, "hang on a sec...I grab a hop-sniff virtually every time I visit the freezer."

So, I'm a weirdo too! :eek:

I had my first bag of hops delivered the other week (Cascade), moved them to an air tight container and spent the next few days sniffing the bag until SWMBO threw it out :p She thinks I'm strange.

When I brewed Dr Smurto's GA I had all the hop additions, all Amarillo, waiting to go into the kettle.
Enclosed area, was in heaven. :D
Nige

what are the steps on this program again? Denial, check. Anger (dropped an addition all over the ground), check, Acceptance... maybe this is where I'm at... I'm maple, and I like hops, ok, what's the next step?

what are the steps on this program again? Denial, check. Anger (dropped an addition all over the ground), check, Acceptance... maybe this is where I'm at... I'm maple, and I like hops, ok, what's the next step?

If you're as bad as me you've been planning a tattoo in your head for the last year or more.... The other next step is to drink a beer, I just cracked a Chimay Red...

For once I agree with the messed up attitude of AA - once a hop addict always a hop addict....

Stop telling me I have a problem, I know what I'm doing, what the feck do you know anyway? I don't have a problem, you do.

I think I'm in the denial stage (insert hop smelling icon here)

crush up a pellet, rack up a line, snort it, now we have a problem....

Does it run down the back of your throat 3 hours later?

When I brewed Dr Smurto's GA I had all the hop additions, all Amarillo, waiting to go into the kettle.
Enclosed area, was in heaven. :D
Nige

heh ditto, I remember opening my first packet of amarillo and being struck by how much it smells like a similarly related plant.

for a few days after draining the fermenter, I even kept my dry hop stocking full of amarillo, so i could have a good sniff.... :blink:

Back