Hop Backs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not yet hoops still gathering a few odds and ends.stainless stuff of course.better get my act together and put it back at the top of my agenda. ;)

cheers
big d

Hoops said:
any idea on the volume of yours?
Sorry hoops this question slipped past me when you ask, anyway its just a tad over 1 litre.

Jayse

Doc said:
Did you build it Hoops ?
If so how did it turn out ?

Beers,
Doc
Doc
flat out at the moment so no nothing happening yet.
I am away with work till Dec, then at work for a week, then driving to Perth for Xmas til Late Jan then moving to Brisbane etc etc so time is the problem at the moment.
When I do make it I will definitely post pics.
Hoops

Thanks for that Jayse. Gives me an idea of the volume I need to make it.

How did you go building your hopback Hoops ?

Just found a link to a cool little hopback here.

This looks like a simple little project to give a go.

Beers,
Doc

Well still haven't made the stainless hopback but made up a glass one from a canning jar.

Hopback1.JPG

As you can see the plugs of cascade worked very well in filtering out the cascade pellets used in the kettle.
Will have to see how this SFPA goes but I think a shiny stainless steel one will need to be fabricated up soon :D

Hoops

Hopback2.JPG

Nice one hoops :)
I haven't given mine a run for sometime but just looking at those lovely hops in there i want to pull it out and brew using it right now. :p

I like the fact you can see whats happening in there with the glass ones.

My very first hop back was a bucket with a pasta strainer in the bottom and i used it with P.O.R, don't laugh the P.O.R was very fresh and worked a treat. A few mates knocked off the whole keg in a few hours :chug:

Anyway top stuff.
Cheers Jayse

With time being the main constraint I am still looking at making a shiny stainless one as I've said before.
Just thinking of the design (see my awesome paint diagram on the other page :huh: ) do you guys think there would be a problem with having it with a flat top and bottom? or would it need a cone/reducer?
I am thinking that with the wort being so hot it may cavitate (not sure if that's the right terminology)

Any ideas?

Hoops

I see there is a How To Build article in the latest (arrive today) issue of BYO.
I had a quick squiz and they have the plans to build one out of PVC pipe and the same concept using Copper pipe.

Beers,
Doc

Just thought I'd reopen this thread.

Being a newly converted no-chill brewer and in a fit of boredom I decide why not toss a hopback together to force some more aroma into the cubes. I've tried bagging hops and tossing them in the cubes. Why it all seems OK in terms of aroma. Pulling the bags and their swollen contents out is a bit of a PITA.

So I thought that being no chill essentially puts you in the same boat as CFWC users.

It's made from a 6 litre S/S pot with a S/S wire strainer pushed in for an almost perfect fit. :) Pot and strainer cost a lofty $10 from the local Vietnamese cheapie store.

Downside the plumbing bits to finish the whole whole thing included a brass pipe thread, 4 brass locknuts, 3, 13mm hose barbs, 1 elbow and 2 female brass sockets. None of which I had lying around. This added about $25 to the job :( . So a $35 hopback is still not bad I suppose.

Can't wait to give her a burl up the track. I can also use a combination of hopback and bagged hops in the cubes for beers like APAs. :beer:

Warren -

DSC01566.JPG

DSC01567.JPG

looks good warren. nice idea - i might make one up similar some time.

Might pay to wait until I test it Bobby. :lol: Could have $35 of spare bits if it all goes pear-shaped.

Warren -

great timing on reopening the thread Warren, I've been thinking about making one myself.

Looks nice Warren but dont you have an unused filter? could have made one like Docs for a couple of bucks :huh:

Unfortunately no I don't Jye. Looked a good idea too. I've only got the one filter and it does my brewing liquor. :)

Couple of problems is I'm relying on a gravity drain to the cubes (don't use a pump). The tap on my kettle sits 70cm from the ground. I'm not sure if a water filter would be an ideal height or work well on it's side.

I've sat this one inline (haven't used it yet though). Steps down nicely from the kettle to the cube. I'm also hoping the hops catch a bit of the muck and hot break en-route to the cubes.

Warren -

ausdb

That's a ripper. :beerbang: Where did you score such a skinny pot? Makes a great filter bed height for the hops. :)

Warren -

ausdb

That's a ripper. :beerbang: Where did you score such a skinny pot? Makes a great filter bed height for the hops. :)

Warren -

If I told ya then I'd have to kill ya :ph34r: Actually its an asparagus steamer pot and was about $30 or $35 but well worth it for the shape.

Took her for a burl with today's brew. A Belgian Pale Ale. Worked really well. Only modification I plan to make is to add a ball valve at the outflow. Need a little flow restriction to keep wort covering the hops. :)

Fixed the problem temporarily by occasionally squeezing the outflow hose. Made it a bit messy pulling the hose from the first cube to fill the second. :lol:

Pic has 6 Styrian plugs. Smelled pretty good going to the cubes. B)

Warren -

DSC01589.JPG

Latest posts

Back