Hop Backs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the filter attatched to the lid......

hbtop.jpg

Well done hops

How easy is that !

Took me a while to work out what the white plastic protruding from the SS scourer was, looks like a cable tie - you can fix anything with lecky tape, cable ties or fencing wire!

I'll go a bit of s/steel braid
But everthing else the same

Cheers for that
Batz

I would just make the inlet tube in the jar go to the bottom of the jar to ensure the wort flows through the hops properly

Linz
I was thinking the exact same thing - inlet at the bottom, outlet at the top on the oppostite side of the jar.

yeap mines the same a $20 hop back i have the pump between the hop back and CFC so it sucks the wort out of the hop back so it needs to be airtight etc.

anyway i made it in about 5 minutes for less than $20 and i don't see any difference to a $100.
i like the idea of being able to see whats happening to.

also like some people mentioned the wort inlet is at the bottom and the out at the top when in use.

the hose holes are made airtight with rubber airlock grommets.

cheers jayse

hop_back015.jpg

cheers.
forgot to mention it can either be gravity feed from the kettle or the suction from the pump can at the same time as pumping it out suck it in from the kettle.

also if i use it it is generally with US cascade plugs which take not very long to break up once the hot wort hits them.
i don't see any difference between using plugs to whole flowers.
Haven't tried pellets but i think they should work fine.

in practice though i find last minute additions give just as good a result.
so the hop back hasn't been used in a while.
cheers jayse

I reckon I like Jayse's $20 special. I was also looking at the b3 hopback/grant posted by big d. It's a nice looking item - from what I've read it's a converted asparagus pot. It's not tight-sealable (e.g. like a pressure cooker or a mason jar) and there's been a little bit of discussion about whether or not this is important. In general, b3 get good feedback on their gear.

cheers
reg

At the moment I have access to an inverter TIG welder and someone to show me how to TIG S/S, so I am thinking of making myself a hopback.
I have attatched a drawing (lucky I don't draw for a job) of what I intend to make.
Any ideas or comments?
Hoops

HOOPS_HOPBACK.JPG

BigD
did you end up making up a hopback?

If someone that's used one can tell me what a good volume would be?
Just drawing up some plans and dimensions. Not sure whether to go 2" 3" or 4".
Hoops

edit - I'm talking about the S/S tube diameter above

do a search for jayse hop back it didnt involve welding but used a s/s scrubby

Yeah Batz, have seen that one. Was looking at it today and that's what was getting me motivated to make one.

Jazman
I have seen the photos of Jayse's but I was thinking since I have access to TIG welding I might as well take advantage of it. Can't help myself when I start thinking of stainless brewing gadgets.

I got a quote from Midway metals and I will probably use a triclover fitting.

Hoops

For anyone that's used a hop-back what would be the normal amount to put into it. 50g? or am I way off the mark?

Hoops

Hi Hoops,
I think 50g is fine, i think mine could proberly hold around 90g of flowers.
Ussually i wack in three or four plugs (60g), some micro breweries will empty out the hop back and refill it with fresh ones half way through, you could always do this if you wanted to get more in there one day.
I used plugs simply because i have never really found any good aroma hops in flower form around the place.
so far i have used centenial and cascade and POR(POR was flowers), also tried tassie goldings in the randall but they are not really that nice. You would be supprised how nice fresh POR can be even if the flowers themselves smell like feet.

Jayse

thanks Jayse
any idea on the volume of yours?
I'm trying to work out the dimensions I will need.

Hoops

Did you build it Hoops ?
If so how did it turn out ?

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back