hop addition times for no chill vs. chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this has been discussed a bunch and Ive read through a fair few threads.
i figure the best thing to do would be to test out my own particular setup, so Ive got an experiment that I reckon should give me a pretty good answer regarding the timing difference of hop additions on a no chill brew compared to brewing using a chiller.
I just wanted to run it by ya's and get a second opinion.

So, basically im just gonna fill one of my cubes with boiling water and time how long it takes to drop to say... 80c? I already know how long it takes to cool my brew pot using a chiller or ice bath, so i was going to compare the difference and then add that time to my hop additions.

I just re read that and it sounds confusing.. but I cant think of another way to explain .... ;-)

Say for example it takes 20 mins to cool the kettlefrom flame out to 80c using a chiller and 40 minutes for a cube to cool to 80c naturally. Going by that -with the difference being 20 mins, do you think its safe to assume that I should push any flavor/aroma hop additions forward by 20 mins to compensate?
obviously bittering additions are bitter regardless so I wouldnt change them..

The other thing I was wondering, is 80c a good temp to use for the test?

Im gonna be brewing something using just galaxy and from past experience, its reallllll harsh if you overdo the bittering so Im trying to get the bitter/flavur/aroma balance right

If it helps, Im trying a stone&wood pacific ale clone recipe that a mate swears by, but he has a herms rig and all the rad beer tech super awesome beer cool things.... im using an esky and a keggle and a couple drinking water cubes from aldi (which make perfect cubes by the way!!!) so yeah... wanna try and get the flavour balance right this time

cheers!

20 minutes is a good starting point. You may find you want to fine tune some of the times after you brew this way a couple of times.

It is important to also apply the 20 mins to your bittering additioms also. So knock your 60 min addition back to 40 mins.

Yeah its funny coz ive perfected a couple beers with this setup without even knowing that the no-chill cool down time played a part in the hop profile... So im know kinda trying to learn backwards jf that makes sense.... I can do a great brew but if i had to put it thru a recipe calc. Or something to find out numbers its almost like i have no idea what i actually did
Me maka magic fun water

I think you will find the cube take a fair wile to cool to 80c I don't think I would add that much time to your hop additions. I would just start with 20 minutes as a base point and work from there. I personally only add 10 and that seems to work for me

Latest posts

Back