Honey Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
When I run out of home brew (quite regulary) I cannot drink most commercial beers as they taste like they got chemicals or something in them. The only one that really satifies as a refreshing beer (other than kilkenny) is Beez Neez honey wheat beer. Has anyone got a good recipie for this (not AG). I shop exclusively at brew craft as they seem to have the best top shelf tins . (muntons etc) I can't stand that coopers and morgans.

A good starting point is the kitchen and recipe forum here on AHB. Use the search function and search for Beez. This turned up quite a few topics. Some will be ag, but there will also be some excellent kit based recipes. The search also picked up the best kit and kilo thread which is now 10 pages long, so lots of good reading and researching for your very own recipe.

If you like the Brewcraft product, why don't you ask the staff for their suggestions? They may already have a suitable recipe worked out.

When I run out of home brew (quite regulary) I cannot drink most commercial beers as they taste like they got chemicals or something in them. The only one that really satifies as a refreshing beer (other than kilkenny) is Beez Neez honey wheat beer. Has anyone got a good recipie for this (not AG). I shop exclusively at brew craft as they seem to have the best top shelf tins . (muntons etc) I can't stand that coopers and morgans.

G'day Mate.

I know you've just bagged morgans there.

But give this a try.

Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat.
1kg of morgans masterblend wheat.
500g of light dried malt.
Hallertau hops finishing bag.
Saf-K97 yeast.

Ferment @ about 22 degrees for 7 days and 7 days in secondary.

You'll come up with a really tasty wheat beer.

Cheers.

G'day Mate.

I know you've just bagged morgans there.

But give this a try.

Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat.
1kg of morgans masterblend wheat.
500g of light dried malt.
Hallertau hops finishing bag.
Saf-K97 yeast.

Ferment @ about 22 degrees for 7 days and 7 days in secondary.

You'll come up with a really tasty wheat beer.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Thanks dude but I would like the honey as well.

Maybe substitute the light malt for 250g or 500g of honey? that would substitute a slightly malty character(as in slight the wheat would vastly dominate it) to a honey character.

For your honey wheat beer, add a kilo of honey to the above recipe.

I'd start with basic honey. Bi-Lo recently started selling 1kg tubs.

Mix it with some warm water and add it to the fermenter with everything else. I would recommend against boiling it.

Won't be Beez Neez but should be quite nice.

There was an extremely recent thread regarding honey wheat beers (yesterday); Honey Wheat Beer. In summary, don't put the honey in the primary fermentation, prime with it instead.

The search function is your friend!

-Adam

If you like the Brewcraft product, why don't you ask the staff for their suggestions?

Because they would just force feed the poor guy a copy of BREWing CRAFTs - aka "The World According To Peter Eastwoods Profit Margins"...

... WOW. Out of the industry for twelve months and I still can't stand that c#%t.

/Rant

(and apologies for the need to vent)

I'm currently doing a wheat beer...experimenting by bulk priming with honey. Not the recommended way to do it, but hey, I'm having fun. From what I've read, the honey needs to be pasteurised, as it can contain wild yeasts and bacteria. It should also be added at the peak of fermentation.

See this article: Honey and Home Brewing

Seems like many people use honey at different stages in their brewing, and no general consensus.

I'll post my findings in a few months.

I'm currently doing a wheat beer...experimenting by bulk priming with honey. Not the recommended way to do it, but hey, I'm having fun. From what I've read, the honey needs to be pasteurised, as it can contain wild yeasts and bacteria. It should also be added at the peak of fermentation.

See this article: Honey and Home Brewing

Seems like many people use honey at different stages in their brewing, and no general consensus.

I'll post my findings in a few months.

Yep, I use honey regularly to prime directly in the bottle (PET). 1 tea spoon / 300ml. That's quite unconsistant but so far, I've got no infection, no disturbing honey flavour and I reckon it does carbonate faster compared to carb drops.

I buy from my local health food shop from a bulk tank and I use the same can for cooking, infusions...

Who has already got a problem with honey on this forum?

Touch wood,
Laurent

I agree the article on BYO is an excellent read. But it's possible to avoid being overly cautious. Most of commercial honeys are heated before going in the pot, so somehow the sanitary conditions are not that bad.

Maybe I'll change my mind on my first infection... :)

Back