Honey Pale Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to the local the other night (Duck Inn, Coromandel Valley) and they had a pale ale on tap which they might make or get some a local brewer that was really nice, It had a big honey taste to it that i really enjoyed. Can anyone suggest an all grain recipe that has this characteristic?

I might have to go back and get some more info... and taste some more.

Thanks,

Depending on how much honey character you are looking for in the Beer. Is it a predominantly honey beer, or a pale ale with a slight honey character in a supporting role with the malt. How does it compare to Beez Neez?

The last honey beer I brewed had honey as 15% of the fermentables and it was definetly noticeable however it could have been increased to 20% I feel.

Personally if you are after a true honey character in the beer I wouldnt go below 15%

Cheers

Hi, ive not tried adding honey and other such things to my brews yet. When did you add the honey? was it at flame out or to the mash?

id add it in the secondary personally once the main ferment is done. the other option in my opinion is to the fermentor before adding everything else.
you dont really want to heat it as you loose more of the aromatic compounds in the honey.
when i do my braggots i normally add straight to the fermentor and as anyone that was at anhc will tell you i get a lot of honey notes coming through.

Is there any issue with getting nasties in the brew (wild yeasts, etc)?

The cheaper method would be to use a grain with more "honey" taste, its notes wouldnt be as strong though. I remember using a grain in a previous brew that was characterised as having honey flavour but i can remember what it was... :mad:

honey is anti bacterial, hence why they use to use it on wounds in the dark ages.

Hi, ive not tried adding honey and other such things to my brews yet. When did you add the honey? was it at flame out or to the mash?

Ive always added it to the last ten min of boil.

Back