Honet Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlee1100

Reaction score
Yesterday in BigW I found Brewiser ( Lion Nathan ) wheat beer on sale for $7.98. I thought I might make a honey wheat beer with it, possibly a Beez Neez clone. I plan to add 500g of dried wheat malt and 1-1.5kg of clover honey ( 82% sugars ). Should I add extra hops?, Beez Neez seems low on hop bitternes and flavour to me! any suggestions?

Cheers, Egel.

Most wheat beers are not meant to be hop dominant; you will be fine without any extra hops.

Egel,

I make a sorta Beez Neez clone along these lines but use the Coopers Wheat Malt + 750g Honey in about 15L. The proportions for Beez Neez are 1/3rd each of wheat, barley and honey. Mine comes out quite nicely, but I also throw in about 20g of Cascade at the end and I reckon it compliments the honey nicely.

Cheers,

Tim

If your planning on making any sort of good beer at all I'd stearclear of brewiser
A.) Their kits aren't much good
B.) Their owned be a big megaswill mob. To me, giving money to Lion Nathan is against the spirit of home brewing and
C.) Their name sounds to much like Budweiser for my liking

if you want a nice wheat beer kit pick up a Blackrock Wispering Wheat

All that out of the way, 1 kilo of Leatherwood honey (replacing the sugar) would go well.

And no i wouldn't add any hops personaly

If your planning on making any sort of good beer at all I'd stearclear of brewiser
B.) Their owned be a big megaswill mob. To me, giving money to Lion Nathan is against the spirit of home brewing and

All that out of the way, 1 kilo of Leatherwood honey (replacing the sugar) would go well.

Maybe only go 500g of leatherwood, unless you know you already like it. It's a pretty strong taste, and the uninitiated often think it takes like medicine.
That said I love it and always put a jar in a porter. Sensational.
Maybe try a orange blossom honey in a wheat beer, I reckon that'd be tops. I'm gonna do it next! Talked myself into it. Just try and stay away from eucalypt honeys.

Ive always read that you shouldnt use leatherwood in beer, unless like MCT mentioned you are sure that you will like it. very strong flavour to it.

try something milder like clover for your first try.

Maybe only go 500g of leatherwood, unless you know you already like it. It's a pretty strong taste, and the uninitiated often think it takes like medicine.
That said I love it and always put a jar in a porter. Sensational.
Maybe try a orange blossom honey in a wheat beer, I reckon that'd be tops. I'm gonna do it next! Talked myself into it. Just try and stay away from eucalypt honeys.
i couldn't agree more about the leatherwood honey. it has a very (ummm ...) distinct flavour. i tried it a while back and it took a while for me to 'adapt' to it. not something i will be doing on a regular basis.

i would highly recommend the orange blossum in a honey wheat beer. really does add a wonderfull aroma. you can also add some late addition amarillo/cascade hops to compliment this as well. i typically split honey additions 50/50 between primary and secondary, and only ever heat the honey to around 80 C for 15/20 minutes prior to adding to the fermenter. so far this approach has worked quite well for me.

cheers
jon

Cheers guys, was considering the same deal as OP but am now thinking more along the lines of a Wal's wheat plus the honey and maybe some wheat grain as an extra addition.

Cheers - boingk

Is there any honey in supermarkets such as coles and woolies which are appropriate for a blonde or wheat beer?

I've been advised to use light honeys and avoid eucalyptus honeys... which almost every honey is in the supermarket.

Would you suggest 500g or 1kg for 23L batch?

1can wheat kit
1 kg of your fave fermentables (coopers 1 or 2)
5oog of yellowbox honey
2l of water
all added and brought to rolling boil

then add

10g of saaz hops at the point of boil
5g saaz hops 10 minutes later
5g saaz hops and 5g green bullet hops 5 minutes later and turn the heat off.

Strain all hops from the wort so they dont continue to influance it

cool to correct temp for pitching yeast.

follow your usual routine for bottling and so on.......

This is an awesome brew, something that my family request if they know im coming to visit

1can wheat kit
1 kg of your fave fermentables (coopers 1 or 2)
5oog of yellowbox honey
2l of water
all added and brought to rolling boil

then add

10g of saaz hops at the point of boil
5g saaz hops 10 minutes later
5g saaz hops and 5g green bullet hops 5 minutes later and turn the heat off.

Strain all hops from the wort so they dont continue to influance it

cool to correct temp for pitching yeast.

follow your usual routine for bottling and so on.......

This is an awesome brew, something that my family request if they know im coming to visit

That does sound good. Been cut and pasted into my new recipes that sound good doco :icon_chickcheers:

Ditto

Hopefully will be doing ths in a couple of weeks.

Is there any honey in supermarkets such as coles and woolies which are appropriate for a blonde or wheat beer?

I've been advised to use light honeys and avoid eucalyptus honeys... which almost every honey is in the supermarket.

Would you suggest 500g or 1kg for 23L batch?

Qty would depend on how much of the honey taste you want. As I mentioned earlier Beez Neez use a 1/3 honey in their recipe.

I've been using Capilano honey from the supermarket for my Beez Neez clone and have found it works nicely. Apparently Capilano honey is what they used when they first started making Beez Neez but not sure if they still do. I just wouldn't boil it for too long, although the brewer at MB says that the honey is added for the full boil.

Cheers,

Tim

Adric Hunter, I do beleive that Black Rock is also a Lion Nathan brand!

Latest posts

Back